View Poll Results: Do you buy both right and left handed tools?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never or almost never

30 71.43%
  • Sometimes

9 21.43%
  • Usually, or most times, when both are available

3 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you buy both right and left-handed tools.?

Jim, "unfortunately", I am definitely left eye dominant. I think George hit the nail on the head...just need more skill!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    The only left handed tool I have is left handed monkey wrench.
    George, I'll bet you also have a full set of left-handed chisels and gouges....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Jim, "unfortunately", I am definitely left eye dominant. I think George hit the nail on the head...just need more skill!
    After it was brought up in a thread here I paid a bit more attention to my sawing in the shop. My surprise was my left eye seems to dominate when sawing right handed. I have been sawing left handed of late, but am not as practiced from that side so the jury is still out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Left handed is more of a mixed brain dominance than an opposite to being right handed. Many left hand writers shoot right and play right hand guitar out of natural ease, not adapting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Lee Valley (and probably others) sometimes make two versions of the same tool - a right hand version and a left hand version. Until recently I thought that was only to accommodate both "kinds" of people. Then someone (Patrick Chase?) mentioned that he has both versions of some tools so he can adjust to the grain direction. So that got me wondering how many other folks do that and I'm submitting this poll to find out. I'm just plain curious.
    There are some instances where a handed plane does make a difference. For example, I do use edge planes at times, and these do need to follow the grain direction. Having both sides is important in this case. The point is, when the finished surface is relevant, then so is handedness. By contrast, when the surface is not visible, and tearout will not matter, such as with a groove, then the focus is on minimising spelching of the sidewalls, which is done by knifing lines deeply. Sometimes one needs to first chisel a shallow recess. This way, I have planed grooves against the grain with both plough and router plane. The other occasion when handedness does matter is when a rebate or plough plane is restricted from use by the fence, tht is, when the plne will only work when the fence is on the other side of the body. This may occur with some mouldings. There are plough planes specially designed for windows.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Left handed is more of a mixed brain dominance than an opposite to being right handed. Many left hand writers shoot right and play right hand guitar out of natural ease, not adapting.
    Yep, this right. Left-handed children (I have one) initially appear to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    There are some instances where a handed plane does make a difference. For example, I do use edge planes at times, and these do need to follow the grain direction. Having both sides is important in this case. The point is, when the finished surface is relevant, then so is handedness. By contrast, when the surface is not visible, and tearout will not matter, such as with a groove, then the focus is on minimising spelching of the sidewalls, which is done by knifing lines deeply. Sometimes one needs to first chisel a shallow recess. This way, I have planed grooves against the grain with both plough and router plane. The other occasion when handedness does matter is when a rebate or plough plane is restricted from use by the fence, tht is, when the plne will only work when the fence is on the other side of the body. This may occur with some mouldings. There are plough planes specially designed for windows.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek
    This is a much more clearly worded version of what I was trying to say in my reply. Admittedly the cases where tearout matters are a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    I have the right and left iron edge-trimming planes from lee valley so I can trim box bottoms and do other squaring tasks with any grain orientation. I love using those planes.
    OT, but... How much adjustment (if any) did you have to do to get those acceptably square?

Those edge-trimming planes are almost unique among LV's offerings in that the critical surfaces (base and fence) can't be lapped on their super duper half-million-dollar machines.I have them and it took a little bit of work with PSA sandpaper and a cast-iron 90 degree form to get them where I wanted. Obviously you can use the lateral adjustment to cant the blade, but then the base doesn't help as much as it could.

I agree that it's useful to have both for box work in particular. For everything else you can usually just flip the workpiece to get the grain oriented properly, but boxes don't allow that option once assembled.

EDIT: The "lateral adjustment" on those planes consists of nudging the blade, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-11-2016 at 9:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    Phil, my daughter is left-handed, which is her explanation for being "unable" to drive a stick shift.
    OTOH, all my bench planes and chisels are ambidextrous.
    Tom, your daughter's handedness isn't the reason...

I'm a leftie and my Subaru is a 5-speed stick. I've driven stick in Ireland, sitting on the opposite side of the car from here (and driving on the opposite side of the road). That was a bit of an adjustment. Thankfully the clutch is still on the left over there or I'd have probably gotten killed. Switching hands, OK, switching feet, that's much harder.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Jim, interesting point. I'll have to give right handed sawing a try.
    Come to think of it, and I know this sounds weird, but I have a hard time keeping my head in a place where my left eye can stay focused on the line. Sawing left handed my body is to the right of the cut and my right eye takes over. I need to make a bunch of cuts ad see if it's consistently moving left or right, but my recollection is it moves right. Just need more focused practice on mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    .... I'll have to give right handed sawing a try.
    Good luck with that. I couldn't saw left handed to save my life. I know because I just had surgery on my right shoulder and actually tried to do work left handed for the past few months while waiting for things to heal up to no avail. I can however use a handplane with a left handed push and shovel my driveway left handed.

There are only two tools (that I know of) that Lee Valley sells (not makes) that are left-handed in terms of hand dominance and not grain directional.

1. 10 foot tape with with right-to-left readings. This allows you to pull out the tape with your left hand and mark with your dominant hand (right). I just wish they made one with proper measurements (you know what I mean )

2. Liogier Rasps. These are specifically made with the teeth oriented for the push stroke be it left or right handed.

I try at all times to make use of both hands (not at the same time of course) but the only task that still alludes my left hand is nailing. My right hand is just too scared.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"