Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite tool

For general measure and marking its a simple 12 ft tape measure and mechanical pencil with 0.5 mm lead (never tried 2 mm lead like Patrick - that's more like a crayon IMO). Also, the basic 6 inch square and homemade marking knife

I must ammend my response. This is my absolute favorite tool along with a small tack hammer. Both belonged to my grandfather. I have pictures when I was 4 years old using the hammer. The hammer is still in use, and at 99 my grandfather is still going strong. I have older memories of the hammer but the ruler was really specially when he gave it to me in my 20's. It almost never gets used. At 99 he just recently gave me the history of the ruler. It belonged to his father and was made in New Hartford CT, coincidentally the next town over. The company sold their ruler patterns to Stanley. We took a drive and he knew exactly where the factory was, although long out of business, it still stands.

image.jpg

Blog Entries
    I attended a Paul Sellers class, "Furniture Making With Hand Tools". That was my introduction to Neander wood working.
    There was basic tools on each workbench to be used in the class. The marking knife was a box cutter, which had to be tilted.
    I have marking knives, but quite frequently I will reach for one of the box cutters on my bench.

It will scribe a extremely sharp, fine, and deep line.

I must say that often the tool I pick up and use is subject to the mood I'm in at the moment.

And the hammer ......

image.jpg

[QUOTE=Jebediah Eckert;2514429]I must ammend my response. This is my absolute favorite tool along with a small tack hammer. Both belonged to my grandfather. I have pictures when I was 4 years old using the hammer. The hammer is still in use, and at 99 my grandfather is still going strong. I have older memories of the hammer but the ruler was really specially when he gave it to me in my 20's. It almost never gets used. At 99 he just recently gave me the history of the ruler. It belonged to his father and was made in New Hartford CT, coincidentally the next town over. The company sold their ruler patterns to Stanley. We took a drive and he knew exactly where the factory was, although long out of business, it still stands.[QUOTE]

What a great story. I'd cherish both of those tools, particularly since he gave them to me himself while he was alive. Thanks for sharing that one!
    Fred

Draw knife.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

By that criteria I have no favorite tool - no pockets in my apron.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Have an old Stanley combo square, shop made marking knife, Pexto 1/2" chisel, Westcott 12" ruler.
    These are my first-to-grab tools. Of course, there are much more accurate items that will be used for other jobs.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Pick a chisel, any chisel.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Draw knife.
    Draw knives are neat and I add spoke shaves. When you are shaping back splats for a chair, twist as well as bow is required. And, the two splats are opposite hand.
    At that time, shaves are my favorite tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    For general measure and marking its a simple 12 ft tape measure and mechanical pencil with 0.5 mm lead (never tried 2 mm lead like Patrick - that's more like a crayon IMO). Also, the basic 6 inch square and homemade marking knife
    You don't use the 2mm lead as-is. You either use a pointer to bring it to a sharp conical point (finer than a 0.3 mm lead, which is my second choice), or sandpaper to bring it to a chisel edge that you can use alongside a rule as you would a knife.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-10-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Hi All,

That is tough question, kind of like "pick your favorite grandkid," which I couldn't do....they are all my favorites.

That said, it would probably be a Stanley 605 bedrock jack plane that was my dads. I like it, and use it a lot when working on a project that needs it, but the link to my dad is the key. I cleaned it up, and bought a correct type age iron for it, so it is now restored with all of the correct type parts. I think that it was the first plane I restored.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My favorite tool defined by it has to be in my tool apron or else I go looking for it, is my Rabone 1465 slide caliper.

Attachment 329014

Do you have one? Just curious.... . . . . . .

My workbench.

If that doesn't count as a tool, then I'm stumped. Probably my Bailey 4 1/2.

It has to be my radio and the soothing background music it puts out. It keeps my mind on a level plane. Can't work without it. After that, probably my scroll saw, drill press, and table router ... and those old t-shirts for applying Arm-R-Seal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by al heitz View Post
    It has to be my radio and the soothing background music it puts out. It keeps my mind on a level plane. Can't work without it. After that, probably my scroll saw, drill press, and table router ... and those old t-shirts for applying Arm-R-Seal.
    +1 on that. My iPod bit the dust and for a couple of weeks it was the limited radio available in my area.

Fortunately it was repairable and is now back playing music in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)