Thread: Workbenches

Workbenches

Hello guys this is my first thread but anywho! I was looking for people that could help me with a workbench design I want to try. It would be my first workbench so I'd need some help on planning but I do have a lot of good ideas for the workbench! If you can help or are curious as to what my ideas are leave a comment for me to see!

Kaleb,

Some books you'll want to read before you start building -

Get yourself copies of Christopher Schwarz's books on workbench design and construction. Workbenches from Design and Theory to Construction and Use really opened my eyes as to what I wanted in a bench. And to look at a number of bench types Scott Landis' book on workbenches is an excellent reference.

Good luck with your journey and realize this is your first bench, not your last.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

A first bench go solid, cheap, functional, and most importantly quick to build. On YouTube there are a bunch of great videos on building solid benches with construction grade lumber. It won't be your last bench you build if you stick with it. Spend a short period of time thinking about what you like. Pick a design and get to it. Don't get lost in the details.

For my first workbench, I wanted to use the opportunity to both challenge myself and to learn new skills. Like other shop projects, you can learn a ton and not worry about it being a show piece in your dining room.

Because I was learning, I also wanted an already well thought out design, and a good set of plans. I settled on a design from ShopNotes issue #65. See thread. I've now been using the bench for several years, and it has worked well for me. That said, there are LOTS of good designs out there, depending on the type of woodworking you will do. Keep us posted on your plans and we'll be happy to help you where we can.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?81966-Workbench-Complete&p=829205&highlight=#post829205
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 01-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Kaleb, what do you want to do? If you want to work with dogs, chisels and hand planes your bench will be a lot different than if you plan to use it as a general work table. Height, depth and top material especially will be determined by that.

If you want a hand tool bench, Mike Siemsen's "The Naked Woodworker" DVD (Lost Art Press) could be very helpful. (Don't worry that's naked in the sense of without tools and experience, not naked as in without clothes.) He covers hand tool selection, rehab, and then shows how to build a Nicholson-style workbench step by step.

Moreover something very general for all purposes

My two cents- Get a solid core door from a recycling/salvage store (take a straight edge to check flatness before buying). Put it on a simple heavy base and cover it with 1/2" tempered MDF. If you choose to, mount an end and face vise. Start making stuff. This will allow you to inexpensively understand what your workbench requirements really are.

FWIW - This is the process I started with on my current bench over 35 years ago. It has evolved over time into the bench I really like. The top has covering has been flipped or replaced three times over that period.

This is my bench before I finished it. The legs and aprons are laminated pieces of plywood. You leave a space in the legs and the apron and stretchers are a through tenon. Glue up was super fast, as you can zap the legs with a brad nailer so you don't have to keep them in clamps forever. I think I had the whole thing built before lunch one morning. I added in a bottom shelf and some lifting castors. I can easily move the bench around with one hand now.
    Here is a link to the plans.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdffree/011181054.pdf

1109151931.jpg

I purchased this laminated top 28 years ago, used it on steel legs for years, and finally built a decent base for it. You can make a top of laminated plywood that works very well. It is is cheaper, or use many other materials according to your needs, but to me the most important thing about your workbench is having a place to store your tools right where you need them. I highly recommend you make the base do something other than hold useless air.

The shelves over the bench help keep the bench clear of stuff you need right at your fingertips, but not in your way on the bench top.

My two cents worth…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (95.6 KB, 91 views)

Whatever you build, the base needs to be rock solid - whether it's a big cabinet, or 4 heavy duty legs, make sure the top doesn't move when you lean on it. A bench that rocks or sways at all makes it really hard to do good hand work.

Then get a good hand plane and a sharpening lesson from somebody and magic will happen.

When I moved into my new shop I was rushed because we were delaying a big project while we got situated. I needed to build some work tables quickly and inexpensively (the move was costly) but, most importantly, I needed something that was going to be solid.

I researched quickly and came across these plans: http://images.taunton.com/downloads/GSIW_workbench.pdf

There is also a video tutorial here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...is-one-is-easy

I built three of them in an afternoon. I figured when things slowed down I would build some better tables/benches. I haven't had the need. These things are solid and do not rack at all. I've had 15+ sheets of MDF on them (approx. 1500lbs), I've cast concrete countertops on them, and I generally abuse them. I can't justify rebuilding them.

I did cannibalize one of them to use as the base for my new miter saw table but it is built using the same methods and just as strong.

Mine have locking casters on them and are used as work tables; they are not really used as a typical work bench. However, I think the base design could be easily adapted to a typical work bench.

The design is inexpensive, quick to build, minimizes material waste, and is rock solid. In addition, because I was rushed, I was forced to use wet lumber. After a few weeks the legs shrunk and the table base loosened up. It took less than 2 minutes to tighten it back up...just put a socket on the impact driver and hit all the nuts to bring it back together. It hasn't moved since.

Just my experience.

IMAG0293r.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Zerance; 01-17-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    - Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb Lindley View Post
    Moreover something very general for all purposes
    As with any general purpose item, it will be a study in compromise. If it is not for any specific set of tasks I too would grab a solid core door and build a simple 2x4 frame under it. After using this for some time, the things you like and dislike about it will come forward. Your next bench(es) will be much better. I too often watch folks over analyze something they have no experience base to use in said analysis; results in 'analysis to paralysis'. Spend low and go into it with the idea that there will be things you didn't consider, didn't know you even cared about and that this will be a temporary stop on your journey ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler