Thread: Steel City Table Mitre Slot

Steel City Table Mitre Slot

I have a Steel City table saw with granite top. The mitre slot narrowed at the back end. Scoured the internet for solutions and most said that it was better to return the unit for a new one or take the thing apart (about 6 hours work). I live 2 hours away from the nearest dealer, so, not to declare defeat, I decided to fix it myself. Loosened the nut that obviously holds the granite from moving and stuck 2 mdf boards into the mitre slot. Stuck a large screwdriver in between and gently nudged the 2 slabs apart. Tried the mitre guage again. It worked! For anybody who may be having the same problem.

It's been a few years since I set mine up, but I seem to recall there's setscrews in the granite that can be adjusted in or out to set the miter slot width as the slot is created by the marriage of the extension wing to the fixed/center section of the top.

There's also an alignment pin under the table, one above the bevel wheel and the other above the motor door, which establish the granite wings position. I'd suggest to make sure those are loose before adjusting the granite wings, but it sounds like you've already resolved the matter.