Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut clock

Walnut clock

This clock is an adapted Shaker design. There was never actually a Shaker Clock of this design. I basically used the small Pleasant Hill cupboard design, increased the scale and worked it into this clock. The Pleasant Hill small cupboard is an interesting configuration and is also an exercise in how one can use nailed construction in making somewhat finer pieces with very simple elements of structure. This clock has a 14 day Hermele pendulum driven movement that strikes out the hours and once on the half hours on a coil gong.

Ron

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice! Like the design

I love how you tok a proven design and actually improved it. When modified, the opposite actually happens...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice work. How are the case corners joined?
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Ron,
    Nice to see you taking enough time away from plane making to do some woodworking! Great job.
    Roger Green

Good clock, nice modifications and the shaker influence is still there. Have you assembled it entirely with nails ? What kind of joints did you use ?

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Construction

The construction of the case couldn't be simpler. The front stiles are glued to the sides with a well fitted butt joint that produces a good 90 degree corner. You basically end up with 2 angle shaped pieces. The bottom could be nailed on the same as the top, however I decided for ease of finishing I would use screws so all the case parts could be dis-assembled for finishing. The screws holes are countersunk and then covered with felt circles at the end.The back edge of the top is fastened to an interior cross rail with screws up thru the rail. This rail gives a place to tie down the back of the top and a place to fasten the pine backboards. The nails that fasten the top to the sides is done after finishing and is one of the last case assembly chores. Pre-drilling is necessary here. Splitting at that point would be unacceptable. More info about the construction and making the back boards is on the Brese Plane blog.

Ron

Roger I arranged my schedule to have time off during the holidays to build this project. I miss this type of woodworking and enjoyed the build quite a lot.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    This clock is an adapted Shaker design. There was never actually a Shaker Clock of this design. I basically used the small Pleasant Hill cupboard design, increased the scale and worked it into this clock.
    Seeing the pics before reading this, I was really confused; I couldn't place where I'd seen this Shaker clock before. The answer: Nowhere. Tricking me isn't too hard, but still, tremendous adaptation, Ron.

Whoa, these shadow lines are stunning. (And super job on the photography. Another skill picked up as a consequence of making and selling your own planes?)

More info about the construction and making the back boards is on the Brese Plane blog.
    You have a blog?? Thanks for the reading material for the rest of the week.

There was a pine version of this clock

Barry it could be that you may have seen pics of the pine version of this clock I made some while back.

Ron

Barry it could be that you may have seen pics of the pine version of this clock I made some while back.
    Whoops, I didn't mean to imply your clock is derivative or a copy. Instead, I had thought your clock was a replica of a famous Shaker clock, not inspired by a famous Shaker cupboard. But I couldn't place where I'd seen a Shaker clock that looked like that.

Again, confusing me isn't hard. And I do it well enough myself already.

(Killer finish on the pine, by the way.)

I didn't perceive you implying anything like that Barry, No worries. The finish on the pine was a very involved finishing schedule. Thanks for the comments on the photography. That's something I'm working on. Good product pics are quite necessary these days. Planes are easier to photograph. Cabinetry is much more difficult.

Ron

Very nice work. What are the dimensions? Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

David the overall width is 18.562, the height of the main case is about 29", but the apron at the top extends above that another 5". It's not a large object and that makes it a very manageable project. The difficulty is in putting the glass opening in a batten style door.

Ron

I really love that design...classic, elegant and filled with interesting little details.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...