Thread: On line guides to segmented bowls?

On line guides to segmented bowls?

Looks like an interesting challenge. And good on line guides to them?

If you are asking about " How-to's", do yourself a favor and purchase a book called The Art of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbets. It should tell you a lot of what you need to know before attempting one. He has video's available also. You can find him on a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mason View Post
    If you are asking about " How-to's", do yourself a favor and purchase a book called The Art of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbets. It should tell you a lot of what you need to know before attempting one. He has video's available also. You can find him on a google search.
    Yup, his first video in particular provides a nice overview of the topic.

Here is a link to some online articles. http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...s.php?catid=98

Any book by Tibbets would be great, and Ron Hampton's book is very good for beginners. Gives great advice on building a good sled for your tablesaw which I think is essential. Have fun!

I agree on Malcolm Tibbets book. I also got his DVD on feature rings and it is great. As far as a sled is concerned do a search on SEG EASY SLED. i built one and is a great unit and very easy to build. I also bought the Seg Easy plates. After watching Malcolms DVD about a thousand times this is my first attempt at segmenting
    vase.jpg
    Al

Allan, that is one fine first attempt.

The only thing that I see wrong with this is, it is going to be very difficult to improve on the next one. Great job!

All the above suggestions are good. I would add dennyedwards.com. His videos are excellent.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Another vote for Malcolm's book and DVD's. Well worth the money. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a class with Malcolm a few years ago and it was a great experience.

beautiful urn... outstanding first one... how tall is it.... I have been doing segmented bowls for 6-7 years but have yet to try a hollow form

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Groves View Post
    beautiful urn... outstanding first one... how tall is it.... I have been doing segmented bowls for 6-7 years but have yet to try a hollow form

Chris
    Thanks. About 28-30" tall and 16" OD
    Al