Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Size Air Compressor

I have used a twin-tank Emglo compressor for years, running brad nailers and staplers, and occasional spraying, using a gravity-feed HVLP spray gun. It could also power a framing nailer if I had one. You may not need anything bigger if you use it as you stated. I also pump an occasional car/motorcycle/bike tire when needed.

Died isn't a complete answer. A compressor is made o components. 1st you need to give more details of the brand, model etc. Post a link to your compressor so we can see it. It's up to you to do most of the work. Could be a loose wire, pressure switch, motor, etc. Based on your vague description I seriously question it's dead. How old is it? Compressors can last a long time with light use. Is it oil filled or oil less? I spent 40 year repairing compressors, tools and machinery in commercial shops and schools. Most tools I could get more life out of them, sometimes with simple fixes. When you post, you can never give too much information.

Blog Entries
    Interesting thing about nail guns. They don't require a lot of volume....maybe.

I got curious about this once so I tried an experiment. It turns out that the inside of a male air connector is just the right diameter for a 1/4-20 tap. So I tapped one. Then I took a bit of 1/4-20 and drilled a very small hole. I used a numbered bit somewhere in the 70s. So basically I reduced the orifice on my nailer (framing, IIRC) to a few thousandths. I hooked up the nailer and applied the air. It took over 10 seconds for the pressure to equalize into the nailer and it fired a nail perfectly.

My takaway from that is that the size of the compressor is immaterial if all you want to do is drive one nail. Where size comes in is if you want to drive a lot of nails. You need a tank big enough to handle sudden demands and a compressor big enough to keep up with the average use. If all you want is one nail, a bicycle pump will do.

If you are considering wanting to use an air sander, blast cabinet, hvlp gun or die grinder, you will want to save up for a 5 he 2 stage min. The best ones will have bigger pumps and run slower. They will generally be a lot quieter. My 7.5 hp compressor uses the same pump as a 10 hp and runs slow. You can hold a conversation next to it.

I will second the suggestion to get a little rolair jc10 or the like if you want something to tide you over. I bought one to take with me to the house . It is quiet!

Rick, you are right. My son is a mechanic and explained that it was not worth the cost of the parts. Trust me if he could fix it for a reasonable cost he would. He uses it more than I do.

It was a Husky from Home Depot that had been refurbished by HD when I bought it 123 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Died isn't a complete answer. A compressor is made o components. 1st you need to give more details of the brand, model etc. Post a link to your compressor so we can see it. It's up to you to do most of the work. Could be a loose wire, pressure switch, motor, etc. Based on your vague description I seriously question it's dead. How old is it? Compressors can last a long time with light use. Is it oil filled or oil less? I spent 40 year repairing compressors, tools and machinery in commercial shops and schools. Most tools I could get more life out of them, sometimes with simple fixes. When you post, you can never give too much information.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

My little Porter Cable pancake compressor is my dedicated nail gun compressor. I love it because it's light and it goes anywhere where I need it to for trim work, framing, etc. If you run solo like I do, you'd be hard pressed to have to wait on it. By the time you layout the next wall section to be framed, or get the next trim piece cut and moved into position, it's all caught up and ready to go.

For everything else, there's my stationary 27 scfm, 7.5hp, 80 gal, upright (sandblasters use a lot of air).

My recommendation is to buy a little one and avoid tools which require a lot of air. Nailers run on very modest air requirements. I fill tires with a 12V compressor (Viair 70P) to avoid dragging out a lot of hose. It's a little slow but so is pulling out and rolling back up hoses. A small compressor will always be useful when you need to work away from the shop. The big ones are no better at the little things and if you never get a tool that needs that much air you wasted money and shop space on the big one.

Another vote for the Rolair JC10 for a quiet small compressor. Got mine at Zoro tools with a 30% off code they run from time to time. If you decide you don't need a bigger unit, this is a good little one.

If you anticipate spraying finishes in the future, then go larger with your tank. I have zero regrets going with a 60 gallon IR...the tank capacity really reduces the run-time. Something else I don't regret is putting on an automatic drain valve that periodically opens for a second and sends any moisture in the bottom of the tank out and away.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I wanted to get into spraying I looked for a used compressor and found a 60 gal one for about 40% the price of a new one. Five or 6 years later it runs fine and I run all kinds of things with it. It sits in my garage where it's available for filling tires, blowing out equipment, running air tools, whatever. Another line goes down into my basement shop where I spray.

You don't have to buy new. Patience and persistence are usually rewarded.

John

Can`t tell you what to buy (other than bigger is better) however, I will offer what I would not buy again.

DeWalt D55168 15 gal upright

+`s low price / small footprint / on wheels/ runs any nail gun easily/ good regulator.
    -`s tank too small for running an unrestricted blow gun / so loud, I pee my pants every time it starts/ noise seems to be endemic to "oil less" models.
    Not knocking Dewalt or this product, just not the best choice for my application/ shop.

YMMV

It all depends on what you're going to do with it. I have a couple of compressors, an old direct unit with no tank for filling tires and the like, a 6-gallon version that I use for nail guns out of the shop and a big 80 gallon IR that's plumbed into the shop that I use for most things woodworking related. The big boy is in an outside shed with my dust collector, well insulated so I don't hear it at all, but the other ones are pretty loud.

Blog Entries
    If I were buying another compressor I would pick up a 60 gallon Husky from HD. They run about $490, have a CI compressor, 3.7 hp and are assembled in the USA. But then my compressor is used for both wood shop work and automotive stuff. I have a 1 hp 20 gallon Craftsman which is at least 30 years old and still working, but with a cycle of 80-100 psi, it doesn't have enough pressure to remove stubborn bolts even with a IR rattle gun. I have a Husky portable which I use for trim projects away from home.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-...602H/205389936
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-18-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I picked up a used compressor today.
    I don't see me getting into air sanding or spraying.
    So I think this compressor will work well for me.

Husky
    5.5 HP
    26 GALLON
    6.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI
    5.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI
    125 MAX PSI

20160204_180754.jpg 20160204_180746.jpg 20160204_180808.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    If you are going to spend that much on an air compressor you can get an Ingersol-Rand at Trackor Supply or a Quincy from Northern. Same size and capability, but a brand name and from a company that specializes in air compressors. My 14 cfm IR compressor is 9 years old and the only thing I've had to do to it was tighten the belt and I changed the oil once. It lives in a 6 X 6' enclosure on the outside of my shop and I have to stop woodworking and listen to see if it's running sometimes. I went through three compressors before getting this one. Each was larger than the one before it, but I'm happy with this one.

Charley
    some of the IR units that the TSC sell are made to their specs and use cheap motors. We had 2 different ones from them that the motor burned out and IR said they were made just for TSC so no replacement and cost to much to repair. Had to buy a new one that cost as much as the whole compressor also the pump was from China