Thread: Turning with a twist

Turning with a twist

My latest creation. This was inspired by an August 2014 article in American Woodturner magazine about tangential twists. I learned a lot while making some mistakes. The glue up didn't go exactly as planned and I had to cut the piece apart and that is why not all the pieces are the same width. It measures 6 inches wide and 7 inches tall and is made from walnut and maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. There's a lot of prep work in your piece and it looks well done from my perspective. I get your comments on the glue up, as I've been there too.......but sometimes we are our own worst critics.

What technique did you use for the interior ? I really like the contrasting colors.
    Dick Mahany.

Dick:

Maybe this picture before turning will help. There were basically 48 wedges wrapped around a round 2 pieces of wood. The upper piece was larger than the lower piece. IMG_4606.jpg

Quite interesting. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Dick:

Maybe this picture before turning will help. There were basically 48 wedges wrapped around a round 2 pieces of wood. The upper piece was larger than the lower piece. IMG_4606.jpg
    What a project. The photo says a lot, thanks much.
    Dick Mahany.

Looks like it would be a bear to make. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

I was inspired by George Guadiane to try one of his OATS (off axis turning). http://www.turnedbygeorge.com/

This vase is Walnut and Hickory. it is aprox. 12" tall and 5 1/4" in dia. IMG_0030 (446 x 782).jpg

It is the same concept as the one posted here, however the staves are not rotated along the major axis. The staves were 45-90-45 triangles and were sawn form 2.5" stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Looks like it would be a bear to make. Allan
    And how! I have great respect for the patience required to make a piece like this, not to mention the skill needed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The same design makes great bracelets too!

I like it! Well done.