Thread: My Sawmill Build

My Sawmill Build

I built a sawmill this past summer and tried it in the fall; it can slice veneer! It is based on Linn Lumber design. However by personality, I do not like to follow instructions and measurements. While the design is based on Linn Lumber's, I have my own measurements and modifications (detailed below). Another reason is that I wanted to minimize cost and use whatever I have accumulated in metal scrap etc.

There are several modifications to Linn Lumber design:

1) I have build my own track and log dogs.
    2) I used a heavy duty compression spring to tension the blade. It is about 1/2" thick coil by 2" diameter and about 7" long.
    3) I used a 3 phase gearmotor to raise the head. It is about 60 rpm and is appropriate speed for the 5 tpi acme rods. With a drum switch, it is a easy to raise and lower the head. I used a belt between the gearmotor pulley and the acme rod as slipping is preferred to breakage at the end.
    4) As a main motor I used a 10 HP 3 phase 1740 rpm motor.
    5) As the roller guides I bought some flange bearings, and chucked them to my lathe and smoothed them and cut grooves in them.

I then built a log arch wide enough to drop the log onto the sawmill track. The sawmill has a removable axle just to move it around. When in use I remove the axle and level the sawmill.

IMG_2145.JPGIMG_2111.JPGIMG_2103.JPG
    Last edited by Sal Kurban; 01-15-2016 at 9:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Very impressive!

Great looking build!
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Nice work !!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".