Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new medicine chest

Very nice work. Congratulations! Really shows mastery of many facets of woodworking.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great! I really like your hardware too. We have the medicine chest out of my Grandfathers general store that was just closed up in 1935. It still has the medicine in it, some of which I'm sure is illegal now. I'll see if I can get a picture posted tomorrow. It looks like it's a similar size to yours.

Kees,

Beautiful chest. Will you hang it in the bath?

ken

Thanks for all the compiments! Hard not to blush.

The choice of the wood was due to my wife not liking oak. I was determined to use oak, but got a veto. Well, I just happened to have a nice chunk of cherry lying around...

I have detailed the whole build on my blog. I don;'t know if I am allowed to post links to blogs here, but it is easy to find when you google for "Seekelot blog". I made the lock in januari 2015. Then it seems I went into hibernating until june. After the summer hollidays I cranked up the speed. I posted about the hinges earlier this month. I have no idea how many hours I have in the build, quite a bit I'd say.

And of course Jim, I made the mouldings myself! I had to get myself a half set of hollows and rounds and get them to work first.

This isn't my first woodworking project, but there are a lot of firsts in this project. I took up woodcarving just before this project. I had never made mouldings with planes before. I had done quite a bit of metalworking before, but blacksmithing is new for me too. It all shows that one shouldn't be afraid to try a new skill. This little cabinet certainly isn't fine cabinetmaking. It is firmly bedded in the joinery culture of days gone by. I really like that kind of stuff.

And yes, it is going to end up in the bathroom. I just started a second chest in the same style. I really hope the finish will hold up to the environment, but I will install a strong and powerfull ventialation.

Hey Kees,

Top notch work. I love the style and finish selection. Seems to really bring out the carving. It reeks of old world skills. I am impressed.

Joe

Hi Kees

Excellent work! It is great to see you posting your work (I wish more would do so), and this is a piece that shows your talents in metal work and carving, not to mention all the joinery. I was going to ask about the metalwork, knowing that you had been forging (!) ahead in that area, but thanks for confirming that you made the hinges and the lock - that is quite something!

Regards from London

Derek

Blooming handsome Kees! Really, really like it!

Thanks thanks. But don't exaggerate! You should have seen my dovetails...

Absolutely beautiful and inspirational.

Very nicely done from start to finish Kees. Except for the choice of cherry which I wonder about availability in the 17th century Netherlands, in about 10 years you might be able to pass the thing off as an antique.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Very nice, very very nice! Super impressed by you attention to detail and your multi-functional talents. Thank you for posting this.

Wowser! A really great piece, Kees. The carving, metalwork, everything. Congrats!👍👍

Beautifull work. Looks like it was an adventurous project with the mouldings and blacksmithing .

Great work! How does it hang, French cleat?
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

It doesn't hang yet, but I will simply drill to holes in the back and screw it to the wall.