Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this plane toast?

Is this plane toast?

This is from my Sargent 414 restoration. It's pitted pretty bad. I'm not an expert in planes but that cant be good. Should I start crying now or later?

image.jpg

I think "toast" largely depends on your budget. If it is large, that plane is toast and you should be on the phone to Lie Nielsen.

The only way to really know is to try it. It is certainly not ideal, but I have had some decent finishes off of a plane that looks worse than that. I would look closely at the iron. If it is pitted like that, you will have trouble. As others have said, sharp fixes a lot, and if there are pits in the iron, you can have trouble getting a good edge.

Or not at all. it does not need to be blemish free to be a good user. If the sole is structurally compromised, it is a parts plane, which is also a useful thing to have.

But the pitting would not bother me. It will never be a pristine tool again, but so what?

I have a WW 2 Era #4 that I use for only rough work....besides, this gives you the excuse to legitimately restore another plane.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 01-18-2016 at 7:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Toast? far from it, just get the sole flat and it'll work as well as any. saying that's toast is like saying a duck with irregular colors can't swim...

Thanks for the input, guys. It's almost complete, painted fresh, flat on all sides. It came with a very small iron from a #3 plane so Im looking for a replacement blade and then ill give the ole girl a few laps around the track and see what she's got.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fisicaro View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. It's almost complete, painted fresh, flat on all sides. It came with a very small iron from a #3 plane so Im looking for a replacement blade and then ill give the ole girl a few laps around the track and see what she's got.
    Let us know how it works out!

This is from my Sargent 414 restoration. It's pitted pretty bad. I'm not an expert in planes but that cant be good. Should I start crying now or later?
    image.jpg
    Not toast at all IMO, For a jack plane, it maybe needs is a bit of sole flattening and then a light touch with your finger tips to gauge if there are any burrs due to abrupt depressions. You could do a bit more sole flattening or even localized hand sanding (just to eliminate the burrs) and it will be good to go.

painted fresh, flat on all sides
    Flat on all sides pretty much says it all for the plane proper. Bottom is flat, so, now drop in a blade that is in good shape and use it.

Looking forward to a report when you start using it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Not toast at all IMO, For a jack plane, it maybe needs is a bit of sole flattening and then a light touch with your finger tips to gauge if there are any burrs due to abrupt depressions. You could do a bit more sole flattening or even localized hand sanding (just to eliminate the burrs) and it will be good to go.
    Why a Jack plane? because a smoothing plane must have a shiny perfect bottom? it can be made into the finest smoothing plane too. the only points that really need to be clean before+after the mouth. the back end of that plane has PLENTY of contact area to do it's job. in fact I have an old Bailey with a huge dip directly in front of the mouth... works perfectly fine, and with chipbreaker set it's still a good smoother.
    I'm assuming the front of the plane is fine both because it seems that way from the picture and because the OP didn't mention it.

In any case, if the rest of the plane is good - good handles, and he is putting in a new after market iron in it.... making in into a small #4 size jack plane is just silly IMO.

BTW - A jack plane gets a 100 times the use of a smoother in pure hand tool work, it's just a #4 makes a so so jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Why a Jack plane? because a smoothing plane must have a shiny perfect bottom? it can be made into the finest smoothing plane too. the only points that really need to be clean before+after the mouth. the back end of that plane has PLENTY of contact area to do it's job. in fact I have an old Bailey with a huge dip directly in front of the mouth... works perfectly fine, and with chipbreaker set it's still a good smoother.
    I'm assuming the front of the plane is fine both because it seems that way from the picture and because the OP didn't mention it.

In any case, if the rest of the plane is good - good handles, and he is putting in a new after market iron in it.... making in into a small #4 size jack plane is just silly IMO.

BTW - A jack plane gets a 100 times the use of a smoother in pure hand tool work, it's just a #4 makes a so so jack.
    Matthew - I was unfamiliar with this plane and looked it up - a Sargent 414 is a jack plane according to the site I found it listed on. Are you saying its not?
    https://timetestedtools.wordpress.co...with-pictures/

Some people pay extra for planes with corrugated soles. Your corrugations are a tad irregular, but you probably didn't have to pay extra for them...

The pitting doesn't look too deep to me, but it is hard to tell from the pictures. In any case for a plane that is intended to be used rather than "collected", it wouldn't worry me much if flattening the sole didn't eliminate all the pitting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Matthew - I was unfamiliar with this plane and looked it up - a Sargent 414 is a jack plane according to the site I found it listed on. Are you saying its not?
    https://timetestedtools.wordpress.co...with-pictures/
    I saw 414 and assumed!​ it was a no.4 size.... my apologies.

I like my toast buttered.

The plane in question has nothing wrong with it as long as you have lapped the sole flat.

I am a bit of a condition freak,but that is an entirely different issue. There is no reason at all why the pitted sole would hurt the utility of this plane. Just lap it flat,and it will plane as well as if the sole were pristine.