Thread: Air compressor inlet filter

Air compressor inlet filter

I have a Bostitch 6 gal pancake style air compressor. Looking at the owner's manual there is no mention of maintenance of the air inlet filter. I see ereplacement parts sells a replacement. Anyone have experience or advice on maintenance of the filter? My compressor is about 2 years old with moderate usage. No problems with it and I'd like to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I see ereplacement parts sells a replacement.
    Buy one now, you`ll use it sooner or later.
    It`s like a T/S or D/P drive belt, doesn`t cost much and best to have one "in stock"

Not bad advice but then the question is how do you decide when it's time to install the replacement?

Two ways:
    One, examine the filter surface and change it if you see a buildup of dust and dirt. One in a shop may have sawdust. Clean or replace.
    Two, replace it on a schedule just because.

My air compressor (two-stage, 5hp, 60gal) has a filter that can be cleaned. Blow compressed air through it backwards.

A dirty filter can make the motor work harder and decrease the life.

JKJ

Based on my low level of use, it would be difficult to come up with a reasonable replacement schedule so I guess when I get the chance I'll pull the cover off and have a look at the filter. I was hoping someone with the same or similar compressor might have some first hand experience to share.
    I agree that a dirty filter will make the motor work harder but I suspect the change will be gradual and hard to detect. Currently I don't notice any difference in performance from when it came out of the box. It's a little surprising and disappointing that the owner's manual doesn't address this since the filter is a replaceable part, maybe they don't expect the compressor to outlive the filter. Perhaps an other example of our disposable society.
    Thanks for the suggestions.