Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

Jealousy abounds...wow...space!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice shop. So what's the story on the trafic light...

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Nice shop. So what's the story on the trafic light...
    Bought it off a guy on Facebook who was selling old city lights that were replaced with new models. I guess he works at a company that buys the old ones when they are updated. It's an LED light though, so not sure how old it really is. Just thought it would look cool in the shop, paid 50 bucks for it.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jealousy abounds...wow...space!
    Yes sir! I've been waiting a longgg time for this. Happy now that it's here.
    Jeff

Hi all,
    A quick planning update on the shops. For quite a bit now, I had planned to finish off the interior walls with barn sheet metal, floor to ceiling. I've had a slight setback to the budget and have had to rethink the interior surfaces. It looks like now I'll probably be putting up 7/16" OSB and either painting it or just leaving it as is. Not as aesthetically appealing, but I actually think it has a couple advantages such as sound deadening over metal surfaces, and of course cost. Sheets here in NE Oklahoma are going for $8.55 a piece currently and I can cover the whole interior for about $600 vs. $1250 for barn metal. That doesn't include the cost of the additional framing needed, but its money saved none the less.

Not sure if I want to paint it or not. I've read countless threads on the subject on forums everywhere, and I still don't have a clear preference.

Just wanted to hop on and report.

Thanks for reading!
    Jeff

It’s personal preference to paint OSB or not. I Personally don’t like the look of raw OSB and would paint it. Painting it a light color would also make that beautiful shop brighter. JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    After living with unpainted OSB for a bit, I painted it semigloss white & much prefer it. Consider using 11/16" for the increased stiffness & screw holding ability. You can hang just about anything you'd want from it. I think painted OSB would be a huge upgrade over barn metal.

I agree with painting the OSB...not only can it brighten things up, it also help lock some of the "splinters" down a little. OSB was never intended to be a finish/exposed material and it's very prone to chipping off and splinters. I agree with Frank about the thickness. Use the heavier material "where it counts" and the thinner in areas, such as up-high, where it doesn't matter. It's a slight compromise in the "low cost" aspect, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop is lined with 7/16”, or whatever the metric equivalent is, OSB. It isn’t painted. I really wish I had painted it before moving in but other stuff got in the way. Painting now involves moving everything to one end of the shop to paint an area. Then moving everything to another area and so on until the walls and ceiling are done. Not looking forward to that. The only thing I have going for me are 8 windows and lots of LED lights to overcome the light absorbing OSB. Paint it while the shop is empty if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It’s personal preference to paint OSB or not. I Personally don’t like the look of raw OSB and would paint it. Painting it a light color would also make that beautiful shop brighter. JMO
    Absolutely. The more light, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    After living with unpainted OSB for a bit, I painted it semigloss white & much prefer it. Consider using 11/16" for the increased stiffness & screw holding ability. You can hang just about anything you'd want from it. I think painted OSB would be a huge upgrade over barn metal.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the thicker stuff. Currently in my area, 7/16 is $8.55, 5/8 is $12.21, 3/4 is $19.48. So 5/8" is probably the upper limit, budget-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with painting the OSB...not only can it brighten things up, it also help lock some of the "splinters" down a little. OSB was never intended to be a finish/exposed material and it's very prone to chipping off and splinters. I agree with Frank about the thickness. Use the heavier material "where it counts" and the thinner in areas, such as up-high, where it doesn't matter. It's a slight compromise in the "low cost" aspect, of course.
    I'm planning to install the sheets horizontally in 3 rows. I have 11 ft of wall height to cover, so I'll maybe put the 3 ft wide pieces at the bottom and the middle section could be the 5/8" for hanging stuff from 3-7' off the ground. That might work really well.
    Good idea Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    My shop is lined with 7/16”, or whatever the metric equivalent is, OSB. It isn’t painted. I really wish I had painted it before moving in but other stuff got in the way. Painting now involves moving everything to one end of the shop to paint an area. Then moving everything to another area and so on until the walls and ceiling are done. Not looking forward to that. The only thing I have going for me are 8 windows and lots of LED lights to overcome the light absorbing OSB. Paint it while the shop is empty if you can.
    I think I'm definitely going to paint it, and will do so before I move everything back into the walls. Right now, I can get to the walls relatively easy, as a lot of stuff is on casters. Thanks Peter.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I rented an airless sprayer from HD & did 2 coats in the entire shop in 1 evening. Very easy & quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I rented an airless sprayer from HD & did 2 coats in the entire shop in 1 evening. Very easy & quick.
    Great minds think alike Frank. I bought a Graco X5 airless about 5 years ago to paint my house. Glad I held onto it!
    Jeff

Get a tip extension for the airless gun, and you won't even need to stand on anything like a ladder. The threads on Graco, and Titan are the same, so buy whichever extension you find that's cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Tip-Exte.../dp/B016MY1WF4

You can get by without a swivel tip, but can do a better job with one. Graco makes one that's a little over a hundred bucks. Here's a cheap one, but I have no experience with this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKFOK0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

There are also extension poles that raise just the gun even higher, for around the same price as the 6 foot tip extension, but I've never used one of them. Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJy9xq5Kqw
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-30-2019 at 9:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Get a tip extension for the airless gun, and you won't even need to stand on anything like a ladder. The threads on Graco, and Titan are the same, so buy whichever extension you find that's cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Tip-Exte.../dp/B016MY1WF4

You can get by without a swivel tip, but can do a better job with one. Graco makes one that's a little over a hundred bucks. Here's a cheap one, but I have no experience with this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKFOK0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

There are also extension poles that raise just the gun even higher, for around the same price as the 6 foot tip extension, but I've never used one of them. Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJy9xq5Kqw
    Thanks for posting this Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to do it. I like that telescopic pole in the video. It looks promising! I may have to invest in one, it would save time and effort. I'm going to use either Zinnser or Kilz oil based primer first followed by a decent latex semi gloss. Lot's of painter cleaning with mineral spirits, but I've read where oil based generally covers better than latex and seals the OSB well.

Thanks Tom!
    Jeff

The telescopic pole looks like it would be a lot heavier than a tip extension, since it holds the gun up in the air, but don't know how long they make the tip extensions.