Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marples chisels - when were these made?

Marples chisels - when were these made?

I got this set of Marples chisels in the photo. Can anyone tell me when they were made?

The widths are given in metric and standard and that makes me think they are more recent, maybe (hopefully) before Irwin took them over?

Do anyone have an opinion on whether the steel in these is as good as the steel in the original blue chip chisels? - so I can decide if they are worth while tuning up. The good thing is they are unused.

BTW from what year to what year did Marples make these blue handled chisels? - I can't find this information online anywhere. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about sharpening one and using it; performance might answer the question better than we could. Just sayin'

I was once told that unless they say "Made in Sheffield England" they were made after Irwin bought them. Take a look at mine and notice the difference in the stamp. I don't know if it is true, but if you think about it then it makes at least some sense.

I got lucky and found my set of 4 on ebay still in the original packaging for $50.

sR3xodj.jpg

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Patrick said. They may take a few sharpening sessions to get into 'good' metal.

Even if they are not 'world class' they are worth having. I have a lot of 'less than stellar' chisels around for use outside the shop or working on dirty jobs.

If nothing else they can be used to make skew chisels or fishtails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a set as my main chisels. I bought them about 25 years ago. They look like the pre Irwin one so well worth sharpening them and use them.

At some point you can upgrade to PV11s or LN.
    Don

I don't know, but those are my everyday users. I can get them very sharp quickly, but not quite as sharp as the Boxwood handled ones I bought new in the early '70s. I have a bunch of them, including different things printed on them, but can't tell any difference.

I believe (could be wrong), the white ring Marples chisels are (were) made in Sheffield. The black ring are the Irwin. This is one of my original sets (set of four). Pretty decent steel.

I just looked at a picture on my website (can't post it here since I'm "commercial") that I knew there are a couple in. I had never noticed, but mine also have that white ring. Laying on the bench with the chisels is one gray tip cover, and one blue tip cover. I think the blue cover is older, but don't really know.

Even the newer not made in England ones hold a pretty decent edge.

Just because they say made in Sheffield that does not mean the steel is made there, just that they are assembled there.

Matt

I have similar looking ones from the late 1990s. Still use. Easy to sharpen and decent users. Go for it.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I have similar looking ones from the late 1990s. Still use. Easy to sharpen and decent users. Go for it.

C

I have a set of Miefer chisels from the 1980's still in regular use. Get them sharp and put them to work!

W. Marples & Sons with the shamrock brand were excellent chisels. I have 2 sets of firmer chisels with boxwood handles.

Okay, you've gone and convinced me to sharpen them up. I had a hankering for an older set, something from the '70s, but it seems like the late 1990s it will be.

As they are unused it is guaranteed the steel hasn't been softened by being ground too hot by someone, so that's good. And I actually like the blue plastic - makes them easy to find in a cluttered shop when everything else is brown.

Over Christmas I picked up a set of four older Sorby boxwood chisels that just feel good to hold. The blades are thin, more like paring chisels, so I'll likely use the Maples to whack on, and the Sorbys to clean up with.

And if I want a set of Marples boxwood firmers it seems Stewie is hinting he'd like to sell me one of his sets at a knock down price...

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

I have the ones in the photo (white ring, Sheffield markings) that I bought in the early 90's. The metal is on the soft side and the profile is not great for dovetailing. I have noticed that the metal has turned a dull gray color and that is something unique in the old or new chisels I own. That suggests less-than-great steel. The $50. price would be a high limit for value for just so-so chisels. Honestly, I like the Aldi chisels better. The edge keenness and retention is better and Aldis are much thinner and work better for paring and chopping.