Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally finished some pieces Critique requested

I finally finished some pieces Critique requested

I have had very little turning time for myself in the last 2 years. Between an increased work load, aging family members, aging me, and trashing my knee with accompanying surgery last summer, my "hobby" time has suffered greatly. I had started a few pieces, and then over an extended period of time I lost interest in finishing them because each had some flaw or difficulty I couldn't overcome. My new years resolution was to pull out these pieces, and finish them or burn them. So, now I have 4 finished pieces. My wife saw an announcement for a local juried show, and insisted that I enter. My paper work went in yesterday, so now I actually have pics. I'll post these in separate threads. I am sure that I won' get any feedback from the juried show, so I will ask you all for a critique. Please be honest and blunt. Even if you feel like I have embarrassed myself by entering them, please let me know. I have a few thoughts on these myself, and want to see if they match yours. I am not likely to have these pieces selected, but I have always said I would at least try this once. Naming the pieces seems to be the hardest part, so if you have any name suggestions, please let me know. I'll see if any of them were even close to what I named them.

So here is number 1. The oblate spheroid was easy, and turned out just like I wanted, but the stand was the complication. Everything I planned was to large and/or complex, taking all the attention from the turning. So I simplified, and came up with this. I think it works, but it was misery cutting the hole to fit the spheroid. It is still a little off. This is made from quilted maple. My wife keeps buying me beautiful pieces of wood, but they are not planned for anything specific, and sometimes it is a challenge to figure out what to do with them. The plank was 24" X 5" by almost 3/4. The bas is ebonized cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 01-21-2016 at 2:45 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian!

I won't critique but I will compliment it! Absolutely stunning! You have come a long ways pilgrim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very Nice Brian! Love the offsetting "simple" base. Good luck with your first show.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

4. Nice work here, Brian! This is definitely worthy of consideration for a juried show. Conceptually artistic, and pretty wood, and the diagonal line sets it off. Waiting to see your other three.........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm not a judge on the jury but dang.......that's a beautiful piece! Nice job Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian!

I won't critique but I will compliment it! Absolutely stunning! ....
    ^^^ That covers my thoughts as well. Great piece!
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

I liked it immediately. Might not have posted but for your too modest description. It is cheerful mid century modern and would look good anywhere ;but I think it would be great in a slightly retro kitchen. Gotta go, I'm getting hungry for a sugar cookie.

Looking very good to me, and concur with the others. Nice clean lines and all goes together.
    C&C WELCOME

Sheesh. I think it's gorgeous - and I don't feel that I am overstating.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Brian, I concur with the others - very nice work! It is well conceived and executed. I can't offer much of a critique. But, if you are looking for other ideas, I wonder what the spheroid would look like with a black interior to accent the exterior and tie in to the veneer in the stripe. And, perhaps have the base wider at one end than the other - maybe even make the base an "S" curve with a slight upward flip on the more narrow end just to create a bit of contrast to the circular form rather than repeat it.

Just some thoughts, and I am certainly not taking away from your beautiful work!

Very stunning. There is a hint of a insert piece between the two half sections and a shot not direct to side or an end view would be helpful. Looks like excellent match of the stripe sections. It sure looks like the base fits well. Of course we are just looking at the photos and not under a magnifying glass. Well done.

I have a hard time coming up with a critique Brian, but from the photos you supplied, I would be leaning towards an acceptance from the jury. Not only is the quilt gorgeous, but the concept and execution are very pleasing. Best of luck and keep the creative juices flowing.

Brian, truly a piece of art. The wood figure is outstanding. It looks like it is 3D. As for a name I would call it eclipse.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Should be accepted by a competent jury. Not totally unique, but very well executed from what I can see in the pictures. john had some good suggestions. The one other oblate that I have seen is usually displayed with fake flowers. Yours is better.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thank to all of you for the kind words. John, I like the idea of a black interior. I thought of it early on, then in the extended time from start to completion, I forgot about it. Turns out that was good, because I would have used black dye. When I oiled the interior, the oil came through the porous quilting, instantly. If I used black dye, it would have ruined the piece. For future reference, I'll file away that knowledge nugget, and try black gesso. Maybe that will not bleed through. I tried some drawings with the stand like you suggested, but never found one I liked on paper. I need to work more on that for the future. I like pieces that are less symmetrical, and that "stand with a tail" idea breaks the symmetry nicely.

William, My first thought for a name was Eclipse, but that name gave me an idea for a future piece that I thought the name would work even better for. I ended up calling it "The offering", because of the feeling of pushing upward. A weak name I think, but the deadline was approaching like a speeding train, and I panicked. Again, thank you for your comments, and Ken, I may have come a long way, but I have much further to go. So much Further!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling