Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good stud finder

Need a good stud finder

What's a good stud finder that will work through 5/8" Sheetrock with a knock-down texture? I've got a fairly cheap one from the Big Box that is marginal at best.

You may not believe me but buy one anyway:
    http://www.amazon.com/CH-Hanson-0304...N%3DB000IKK0OI

You should have a look at Franklin Pro sensor710 ,it's probably the last stud finder you'll ever buy,it's accurate,the LED lights shows the location of the studs the moment you place it on the wall without sliding it.detects 2/4s 4x4 studs.
    It is a bit pricy for what it is but you'll get a decent tool for what you pay.

Blog Entries
    +1 for the Franklin Pro Sensor. Works better than any I've ever had & I've had lots.

There are some uber expensive ones from Milwaukee & Dewalt that are much more sophisticated & will detect more stuff, but I've never used them. I've read some reports of them not being that great though, especially considering the cost.

+1 too on the Franklin Pro Sensor. My house is plaster on Rock-lath, this is the only stud finder I have found that works consistently. Dan

I have both sensors posted in the links above. Get 'em both.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use this guy - doubles as my stud finder and metal detector in the shop so I don't run metal-laden reclaimed wood into my blades.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-m40-FFP.../dp/B00ZF8Y6ZW

I have one like the Zircon i520 and it works well.

Whenever I have it out, my wife harasses me with it. ;-)

Had the Zircon one for years, no complaints.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    YES,
    I almost posted both in the beginning. Which one you will use more often will depend on your walls. I use the CH Hanson almost all the time but the Franklin is great for finding horizontal blocking.

I have a bunch of them accumulated over the years. I like the 710 the best. It really helps for shooting nails in crown molding, since it shows you where the whole stud is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Whenever I have it out, my wife harasses me with it. ;-)
    I've always assumed that my stud finder didn't work accurately due to interference I caused by being in the proximity...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    For the moment, I'm going to try the $9 solution. I'll keep the Franklin in mind in case I find myself needing something more precise. I'll admit I'm initially skeptical that it will work "well enough" but for $9, it's hard to go wrong.

Yet another vote for the Franklin 710. It's by far the best I've ever used.

The magnetic ones are great for finding nails or screws, but tell you nothing about where the studs or blocking pieces are. In my experience the assumption that the person before you actually put the nails in anywhere near to the center of the stud is terrible. Any number of times I've driven a fastener two inches above or below an existing drywall screw/nail and hit nothing but air.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    +1 too on the Franklin Pro Sensor. My house is plaster on Rock-lath, this is the only stud finder I have found that works consistently. Dan
    +2 or +3 for the Franklin sensor. You can get the same model in blue for $40 at Costco. Supposedly the internal stuff is identical to the yellow ones.

Steve

I use the Zircon M40-FFP metal detector, as I am mostly working in old houses which have plaster/lath walls. I find that the combination of the wide-field scan and the narrow-field scan really does the trick for locating the nails which attach the lath to the studs.