Thread: No Genuine Mahogany

No Genuine Mahogany

The two hardwood suppliers near me don't have any Honduras (genuine) mahogany. Is something going on with mahogany? Have they stopped shipping to the US? Anyone know?

They have Philippine and African mahogany but those are not real mahogany.

Does your supplier have genuine mahogany?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-22-2016 at 7:59 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It can still be had, but sizes are much smaller than years ago, and the pricing is thru the roof. I think the mahogany substitutes* are close enough in color/workability/durability that genuine is just not that in demand, and some yards arent going to stock what isnt selling regularly.
    *African mahogany, Sapele, Sipo.

For the last thirty years or so, most genuine mahogany in the US was coming from Brazil. The loggers did great damage to the ecosystem, and Brazil finally clamped an export embargo on the lumber. The US respects that embargo, so supplies of genuine mahogany have become very tight, and the price is very high. Some genuine comes from other countries like Peru and Honduras. Sometimes my suppliers have it, and sometimes not.

I have a mahogany project that I'm doing right now and I need genuine mahogany to complete it. The other "mahogany" will not match what I have already done.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Mike try peterman in fontana,last time I was there they had plenty.It was before Christmas I'd be surprised if they sold out.

Hard to be sure how price increases will effect luxury goods. In the mid 60s I worked for an old guy who got all the free heart pine he wanted just by going to a building being torn down and basically being willing to haul it away. 15 or 20 years ago mahogany price was about the same as white pine for a while. Got used a lot for exterior stuff for a short period ....so some thought it was "too common" and wouldn't consider it for cabinets. If anything has a long history of being associated with quality and luxury, it is mahogany. Whenever I see some tiny antique item like a needle case made of mahogany it occurs to me that if the maker was employed he asked the boss for it or stole it; it was not a material to be thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi Mike try peterman in fontana,last time I was there they had plenty.It was before Christmas I'd be surprised if they sold out.
    Peterman is where I go and I remember seeing plenty, but I was there back before Christmas too. Might want to give them a shot.

The last time I bought it was quite a few years ago and that was from Hearne. It was expensive then, too. Lately, when I've needed mahogany characteristics, I've picked up sapele.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Thanks, Andrew (and Brian). I'll check out Peterman.

Mike

I have never worked with Sapele but have heard it is easy to work with. Does it move as much as African Mahogany? More stable?
    David

Sapele is not as stable as good Honduras Mah.Im guessing that's why I see it mostly quarter sawn in the racks at lumber yards.Or maybe it helps to dry. African mah is just plain ugly to me.
    Heres some Hondras Mah from peterman.
    I used to make fish tank stands for a friends business.Nothing looks as nice as genuine Mah.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, try Greener Lumber in Macon, Missouri. They sell mahogany from sinker logs salvage in Central America. Some remarkable stuff. Inventory depends on what logs they have ready.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I have never worked with Sapele but have heard it is easy to work with. Does it move as much as African Mahogany? More stable?
    Everything is better than African.
    In order of stability and workability.
    1. Honduras Mahogany
    2. Sipo or Utile
    3. Sapele
    4. African Mahogany - AKA - firewood in my opinion! Shoulda left the trees standing.

I have done plenty of jobs large and small with all of these, and at this point if i cant convince the client or architect to use something other than African, i suggest they find another shop. Why anyone would want to work with it and pull their hair out as it moves and fuzzes from machining when there are better machining, more stable, and similarly priced alternatives is beyond me.

Of course this is all my opinion, but a fairly well informed one, and probably worth just what you paid for it.

Blog Entries
    http://www.woodworkerssource.com/ if they don't have it, I bet they can get it.

It has been a while since I have used Honduran or Phillipinan (never was sure which it was), but don't recall any issues at all. Nice wood to work with. Unfortunately, I had to build a set of kitchen cabinets (upper and lowers) with African to find out about the instability of that wood and I think the doors are still moving in that kitchen. Never again. The small stack of leftover wood in my shop attic storage remains undisturbed.
    David