Thread: drilling turning tools handle for storage?

Question drilling turning tools handle for storage?

Good eve all, just had a bit of epiphany about storing my turning tools. I have been toying with using broom holder clips to hold them mounted behind my lathe, but had another thought, what about just drilling a hole in the handle instead (wouldn't have to go all way through) and hanging them on nail/or other sort of post. Other than drilling holes in handles and the aesthetic look, what other issues might I encounter? I think I can store more tools in less space this way. Any down side to this? Input is appreciated!!

Not sure of the effect on the tool handle it-self but holes and "pegs" would be OK if you don't plane on being in a hurry. As we would call in int industrial engineering, it's a "blind put" to rehang them each time ant that takes time. Sorry, ex Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer. Always looking at efficiency.

"The best things in life are not things."

Sometimes a chamfer/countersink on a hole can make a thing easier to slip onto a peg. And a bigger hole on a smaller peg.

But someone in another post suggested that hanging tools with the point down might be a problem if they came loose somehow and fell point-first onto the concrete floor.

At the end of my lathe I have a piece of 2x6 that has 1/4 steel pegs in it. My lathe chisels all have been drilled 2" deep with a 5/16 drill bit. All the chisels sit there, sharp end up. Works great, if you remember to put them back after you use them.

Personally, I want enough room between tools to comfortably grab them. If I have that much room, then I have room for a rack. If mounting to a wall, the best arrangement I have seen is a slanting board with a notched piece sticking out near the top and a lipped shelf at the bottom that is just wide enough to fit the handle with a little slack. Sharp tools are point up while dulled ones waiting regrinding are point down (if you have duplicates, or ones that are close enough, and don't need to stop and sharpen mid-turning).
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a rack near the lathe with the frequent/most used tools that are held in holes large enough for the tool, but small enough to support the tool by the handle.

The tools that get used infrequently have the handles drilled and hang on the wall in an out of the way spot.

I've always stored my tools this way, with large holes right through, countersunk, and smooth-ended headless nails angled up a little. It works well. But I don't like it. It seems disrespectful to drill through the polished handle of a new tool! I've never had a tool fall out of its handle, though once or twice a ferrule has fallen off.

Another option is to use pairs of nails or dowels that the tools rest on horizontally, one above the other. That protects the tools but I found it less user-friendly because the balance has to be right for each tool.

You can also use pairs of nails close together so the tool goes between them, a bit like the broom clips. But heavy handles tend to tip sideways.
    Last edited by Terry Vaughan; 01-23-2016 at 8:33 AM.

One of my "NEXT" projects is to make French Cleats to span over the 2 window frames behind my lathe station. Then I'll make removable racks for the 6-8 each tools for a given turning project. Smaller French Cleats with super magnets glued on the backs will be the temporary holders for the "Project" tools. Right now, all 25 or so tools rest on top of my under lathe storage cabinet, and have to moved every time to clean up after making sawdust. I'll post pictures.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I too thing it is somehow wrong to drill holes in Lathe tool handles. The style of rack that Thom referred to above would be an ideal choice. Also mount the holder anywhere BUT behind the lathe! There is too great a temptation to reach over a moving piece of work to get another tool.
    I have not built the perfect rack yet and use a wall mounted board with holes for each tool tip down. Two methods ID the specific tools, the shape and size of the handle and some holes are fitted to a specific tool, eg: square for the Bedan, rectangular for scrapers and skew, different sizes round holes for different gouges.
    I have always been Leary of tip up tool positions.
    Peter F.

It seems tool storage is an ever recurring topic. The racks Thom referred to are simple and quick to make and work perfectly. While there are many solutions, this one seems to me to be the better.

Here are some pics and the plans, all of which I have posted several times as I recall. These pics are old, and I have since rearranged and added an identical third rack, and many/most of my tools now sport D-Way handles.

Edit - I should add that my racks are not "furniture grade", such as those shown by the originators of this design!! I used scrap wood and it shows, but the functionality remains.

TOOLRACK 1.jpg TOOLRACK 2.jpg
    TOOLHOLDER.pdf
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It seems tool storage is an ever recurring topic. The racks Thom referred to are simple and quick to make and work perfectly. While there are many solutions, this one seems to me to be the better.

Here are some pics and the plans, all of which I have posted several times as I recall. These pics are old, and I have since rearranged and added an identical third rack, and many/most of my tools now sport D-Way handles.

Edit - I should add that my racks are not "furniture grade", such as those shown by the originators of this design!! I used scrap wood and it shows, but the functionality remains.

TOOLRACK 1.jpg TOOLRACK 2.jpg
    TOOLHOLDER.pdf
    I made some of the same racks that John has and I love them! I had one rack for a few years and suddenly found myself with a need for another rack so I whipped one out in about an hour. Mine are made from scraps that I had lying around the shop so they aren't pretty but the sure are functional!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thanks for the response, I do like keeping the tools with cutting end up but at same time was tempted to just get something up so that I can spend more time turning. Currently my tools are just laying in their plastic sleeves in the cabinet I have above the lathe. Am kind of toying with some sort of articulating arm that allows them to be against the wall when not turning, but able to be moved out and to the side to keep them easily in reach. Anyone done something like this?

I use a magnetic bar screwed to the wall.
    Works for me.

IMG_0916_1.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale