Thread: Question on ripping thick lumber

Question on ripping thick lumber

I have some thick lumber that I cannot rip all the way through in a single cut with my table saw. These are 100lb+ boards, each nearly 8' long and 6"x8" in profile, that I want to rip in half down to 4"x6" boards.

Is it safe to take a deep kerf, then flip the board over and finish the cut from the other side? Or am I incurring serious risk of kickback or injury by doing so?

My only other option is ripping by hand, which seems like it would be a pretty daunting task.

I do that often and have had no problems. I don't see any more risk of kickback than with normal through cuts. If others here have a contrary view, I'm open to it. I'm assuming that you don't have a band saw, since you said your only option would be to hand rip these boards.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

It seems unlikely that a 50lb board would be able to kick back. Still, the safest method is to cut almost half way through from each side and finish the middle 1/8" with a hand saw. This eliminates the possibility that the two halves can close up in the middle of the cut.

Steve

Blog Entries
    I don't know what table saw you have that will make a 4" cut, but when ripping in this way it is best to always keep the same side against the fence so the two kerfs align which will help prevent any binding on the second cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    And hope you don't have any twist in the lumber.
    NOW you tell me...

Ripping a little from both sides will not work well if there is any cupping of any kind in the wood so be careful. I would find someone with a bandsaw and make quick work out of this lumber. Just my thoughts.

Red
    RED

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

I do not have a bandsaw. My table saw is a 10" portable Ryobi contractor saw. It's not great, but it does cut straight and has a new blade in it. I imagine at the deepest setting I could take a 3-4" deep cut, but I'd have to measure to be sure. I know it at least has some power to it, as it ripped through 2" hard maple without much effort.

These boards are kiln-dried Douglas Fir and very straight, so no real concern about cupping of the wood if I flip them over. However, if it would help, I could certainly flatten the fence side with a hand plane before ripping them.

Well, I gave it a shot. Everything worked just fine, and went slow with my cuts. The saw did have to work hard to take 3" cuts, but it made it without too much trouble. The cuts aren't perfectly aligned, but that's fine. I'll smooth everything out with my hand planes later. I will also add that trying to handle beams that heavy by oneself isn't the easiest task.

On a side note, now I know why one beam was so much lighter than the others. Because that one is actually dry. The other one that I cut was still a little damp inside. I'll make sure to laminate the two damp ones together so as to keep any movement during drying on one side of my bench top.

Oh yeah... these are going to become my bench tops. I'll laminate each pair together. Design is a split top that's 4" thick and around 15" wide on each side of the split, after everything has been smoothed, squared and straightened.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Red
    RED

Pictures? Sounds interesting.