Thread: Oneway hollowing system

Oneway hollowing system

Anyone seen it yet?
    I can't find out much about it.
    It's only on there website.
    Looks cool,beefy.

Haven't seen one in person, but it looks very similar in concept to the captured bar system Lyle Jamieson sells (and offers free dimensions for those who want to build it themselves). http://lylejamieson.com/product/giant-hollowing-system/ Looks like it's as beefy as pretty much everything else Oneway sells.

You mean this one? http://www.onewayeuropa.com/hollowing I agree, concept is the same as Jamieson's, so it should work very well.

This view of his big system was always a favorite. giant-hollowing-img.jpg
    Last edited by Jeramie Johnson; 01-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.

I suspect they will bring it out at the AAW in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    I've had one of these for about a year. Bought it second hand.

Pluses:
    - Very solid. the mounting plate is massive. I had to build a taller, wider one for my machine - multiple layers of birch ply and it still works well.
    - very rigid - the double angle iron design has no flex at all in the captive bar part. Is it any stiffer than a 1.5" square tube? No idea.
    - the gap between the bar can be adjusted, to accomodate for different systems. Not sure if the Jamieson system is. I've used several chisels beside the Oneway, including a 1.5" dia, 48" long bar, that weighs about 45 lbs for really deep boring.... Its nice to be able to swap around. The quick clamp mechanism is good.
    - the height is finely adjustable, so you can get it exactly right

The captive bar is a bit lighter than I'd like, but probably good for most uses.

Misses
    1 - heavy, if you need to take it off.
    2 - Minor gripe - the gap adjustment system tends to slip due to vibration. An extra nut can be added to hold it tight.
    3 - the clamping bolts to accept the bar tend to slip a lot! I've replaced them with grade 8 bolts, so they can be torqued down more. Also for any chisels with a lot of offset, I have ground a flat spot on them so they don't rotate.

You might need adapters to slot in different sized chisels. These are available from Oneway.

Number 2 & 3 are easy fixes and might not be needed by everyone.

The overhead bar is a weak point. Very fiddly to adjust and can slip. The bar transmits too my vibration for my liking. Rather than clamping in one spot, I'd prefer 2, and a stiffer bar.

The laser pointer tends to die due to vibration - this might be a common issue with all such systems. Amazon has very cheap replacements. However, I've swapped mine out for a camera which so far has worked much better. If you like the laser, then the adjustment mechanism on the end is very nice. Allows for very precise placement of the dot.

Overall, I like it. But have not had a chance to compare to any other systems.

I have had the Oneway hollowing system for years and have not been very impressed with it. It is good for about 12 inches but not much more. The lasers that go with the system are junk. I went through 4 of them before borrowing one from another system.
    If you want a heavy duty one go with the Big Carter system:http://www.carterproducts.com/lathe-...llowing-system.
    It is well designed and I have had no problems with it.

I did actually build my own system, and it worked quite well. Until I moved my shop and wrecked it in the process.

One hollow form I did was almost 24" off the tool rest. That was with a 60" hollowing tool, 2" dia and weighed about 40 lbs. (It was a repurposed drive shaft.) Given the huge weight of the bar, and the 1/4" cutter, it was stable and easy to use.

I dont have pics but will try to describe.

Basically I used a 2" steel fence post (the cross slide bar) from Home depot as cross slide / holder. It was mounted horizontally, similar to the back part of the Carter or Oneway. But only had one bar, the top one. So if my hollowing bar caught and bounced, it would hit the cross bar.

Hung below was a small carriage which had bearings that ran on the cross slide bar, perpendicular to the lathe bed.
    The carriage had a second set of bearings, at 90d (parallel with the lathe bed). That held the hollowing tool (drive shaft)

So the cutting of the hollowing bar obviously sat on the tool rest, the carriage held the tail end (since it was way too heavy to hold for long).
    The two sets of bearings allowed the hollowing bar to slide, perpendicular and parallel, with ease. The only resistance was at the tool rest.

The horizontal cross slide bar was held in place by two pieces. A 36" long horizontal board screwed into the wall studs behind the lathe. Slightly oversized holes so that cross slide bar inserted at the right length away from the tool rest. The other end (closer to the user) had a plywood contraption. It clamped onto the lathe's bed, so it slid back and forth as needed. It just held up the cross slide bar.

Overall it worked very well. Couldn't handle any offset tools, since nothing prevent the hollowing bar from rotating. But that could easily be added to the design. If I ever have the need/time/energy, I'll build another....Maybe in a while.

I hope that makes some sense. Its too late to tackle SketchUp.

Thank you all,
    I have a big decision to make for me and not a lot of money.
    I will turn anything I can anyway i can I'm hooked.
    But I have just so much $$ to spend like all of us.
    I've been a cabinet maker for 35 years, so you all heard that before I'm sure.
    Got to tell the boss it's worth it
    Thanks for all the help.
    Rick

Here is a link to the North American site that shows detail pictures: http://oneway.ca/products-category/c...owing%20System

I have had the Steve Sinner Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar rig for several years. If you are interested in serious deep hollowing then that is the one to get.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    I have a big decision to make for me and not a lot of money.
    Rick: I got the dimensions from Lyle Jamieson's website and built my own. It's not very complicated and uses commonly available materials. If you can weld - or know someone who does, it's very simple to put together. I hadn't welded in over 40 years (since college) and it went together easily with a borrowed welding rig. Total cost before buying the bar/tool holder from Lyle was about $60 in materials. I did buy his boring bar and have since upgraded to the Hunter carbide cutter. Not as pretty as the store-bought version perhaps, but it works great.

If you really want curls flying try the Woodcut hollowing bit on your captured system. It is a very heavy hook with a limiter the adjusts your cutting bite. No more grabs. Will cut as fast as a 5/8" bowl gouge with no grabs. A no-no at 20" deep. Been using one for 20 years +. Also very easy to sharpen and no carbides to buy.