Thread: Using a Jointer

Blog Entries

Wink Using a Jointer

Couldn't a Jointer be used for thickness also? If you flatten one side and then thickness the board doing the other side, what would the difference be not using a planner? Don't you only take a 1/16 or so with each pass on both machines? just another one of my uninformed questions....

Sean
    There would be no reference. You would have two flat faces, but they wouldn't be parallel with each other, or for better expression, an even thickness.
    Once a board is face jointed on a Jointer, that face becomes the reference face for the planer. This way both faces are flat, and parallel, to each other.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

No..... jointers are not for thickness. Think of it this way....... why do they make jointer/planer combo?!? The planer gives you controlled thickness once the lumber has been joint faced properly. The jointer doesn't really give that kind of thickness-ing control that easily. You could do it with a jointer with a perfectly flat stock, perfectly set-up jointer and a perfectly smooth operator if you are lucky enough.... no guarantees. Try that board after board after board. No. Trust a planer.

In Europe, they call jointers "planers" and planers, "thicknessers". So, a jointer/planer is called a "planer/thicknesser" over there. Not terms we use over here but actually make more sense if you knew nothing beforehand.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    I knew there was a reason but I couldn't for the life of me think of it. Now it makes perfect sense. Thank you all, Sean

It's a great way to make really big wedges, however!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

^ Speaking of wedges, despite a 63" long table and my most careful efforts, some boards just refuse to be jointed into anything other than unusable potato chip shapes. Others seem to cooperate quite quickly. Ah.. the mystery

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Wait! I've got some of those around here somewhere
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Been there done that.... ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    ^ Speaking of wedges, despite a 63" long table and my most careful efforts, some boards just refuse to be jointed into anything other than unusable potato chip shapes. Others seem to cooperate quite quickly. Ah.. the mystery
    While there certainly are boards that just will not cooperate due to internal stresses, my feeling is that the number one reason a board doesn't get flat is because the operator is pressing down on it, rather than letting it glide across the table so the high spots get taken off...more with each pass until you can literally hear the full cut over the last pass. Looking at the board carefully before face jointing is also important...you have to select the best side to flatten first based on what you see relative to cup and or bow so you're actually removing "high sides" rather than making/remaking the "potato chips".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...