Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

25 Jan 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope all of you are doing well and are warm. Our snow is almost gone and the temps outside are warming back up above the freezing mark. The snow is pretty but this part of the country isn't well suited to dealing with snow and ice like our northern brothers and sisters.

My guitar build project is almost 100% complete and I will get a couple of pic of it this week. I really love how it plays and how it sounds. I just need to play it enough now to get a feeling of "home" on the action and setup. It's pretty sweet and I truly love how well it plays.

Worked a bit for the day job this weekend due to some issues and just glad things weren't seriously wrong.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis, I was in contact with our earth station in Virginia and they sure got walloped with snow.

Strangely enough I have almost no snow at home, it's been a very weird winter for us.

All I did was clean up the shop as I bought a workbench for $500.

It's 74" long, 30" wide, the top is 2 3/4" Jatoba, the trestle is ash.
    Bench.jpgEnd Vise view.jpgSide Vise.jpg

Regards, Rod.

Killed my first mole of 2016!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dennis, I was in contact with our earth station in Virginia and they sure got walloped with snow.

Strangely enough I have almost no snow at home, it's been a very weird winter for us.

All I did was clean up the shop as I bought a workbench for $500.

It's 74" long, 30" wide, the top is 2 3/4" Jatoba, the trestle is ash.
    Bench.jpgEnd Vise view.jpgSide Vise.jpg

Regards, Rod.
    Beautiful bench, Rod!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Beautiful bench, Rod!!
    Yes, it was a steal.$500 Canadian works out to what $12.67 US?? :-)...........Regards, Rod.

Well, I plowed out...twice...this weekend, which was honestly the best idea. Doing a "mid-storm" cleanup made the task on Sunday more manageable for my Kubota. (snow removable with the bucket on my sub-compact BX22 pushing the snow starts to get pretty inefficient once you get beyond about 12" of depth and we got a total of about 24" here)

Other than that, I got a little bit of time in the shop working on my buffet/hutch project, although not as much time as I would have liked due to that other task I mentioned. And oh, I love the heat in the shop. The basic carcass of the lower buffet portion of the project is now assembled with a few small steps to go before I do the face frames, two doors and two drawers. Once that's done, I'll finish the interior (paint), finish the outside (paint), create the T&G back and build the cherry top. I have to do all this and move it into the house due to the size of this project...the upper portion is "very big" and I need the shop space to deal with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Well, I plowed out...twice...this weekend, Kubota.
    I regret to say that my BX has hit the driveway exactly once this season.
    A. I rather enjoy plowing
    B. It`s a laborious task to remove the deck, install the plow, mount the weight package and "filled" Ag tires.
    C. All that "be prepared" effort ^ and no seat time. Arrgg..

Did build a shadow box style mirror frame 5"d x 48"w x 35" tall.
    It`s for work, so just made of poplar, I`m painting it now.

Well, Fri. I ordered a unit of 1/2" plywood and a bunch of other misc ply, and decided it was time to start looking for a forklift instead of borrowing dad's tractor. So Sat. i went and looked at one on CL and ended up bringing it home, and then used it today to unload! Fun stuff.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    I regret to say that my BX has hit the driveway exactly once this season.
    A. I rather enjoy plowing
    B. It`s a laborious task to remove the deck, install the plow, mount the weight package and "filled" Ag tires.
    C. All that "be prepared" effort ^ and no seat time. Arrgg..
    I don't have that "conversion" issue...I sold the mower deck years ago and bought a ZTR for mowing. The FEL and BH pretty much stay on the machine full time.

And don't underestimate what you can do with poplar. It's not just for paint!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went x-country skiing on Friday. I had to install a vanity on Saturday so I asked my wife if it was OK if we called it a short day after about 2 hours. Fortunately, she was fine with that. I woke up Saturday to load the Outback and I was still pretty stiff and sore - glade we didn't ski longer. I get the cabinets and all my tools to the job and the first thing I see is a PVC pipe in the corner where the right cabinet has to go. I had completely forgotten about it when I designed the cabinet. Note to self - always, w/o exception, take pictures. So, after a consultation with the owner, we decided to cut the cabinet box to fit around the pipe and build a shorter drawer where it protrudes into the cabinet. With that done the rest of the install went smoothly and it looks good. This was my second project using GF's Enduro White Poly and I like it a lot; sprays great with my pressure assisted HVLP gun, flows out beautifully, and cures to a a very hard finish.

Yesterday I was nearly comatose. Of course I watched both football games. Carolina looks unbeatable, as much as I'd like to see Payton win.

Today I ordered a shorter set of drawer slides and cut down the drawer box, changed the oil in my air compressor, and bought a multi-tool - HF variable speed on sale for about $30. For what I'll need it for I think it will be fine.

Snow? None here this weekend.

John