Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I need to bite the Shop Vac type 'dust collector bullet' - but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Are you just going to toss the anti-static in your winter use?
    Please explain this comment. If you mean dealing with static build up in the hose, I do not believe that to be a problem. I am using a standard shop vac and the same sander. There definitely is static build up during sanding sessions, however, it is very mild and I do not believe it is anything to worry about. This si my opinion based on practical experience. I have no empirical evidence.
    Mike

Hi guys,
    I have a ridgid vac on my dust deputy and as others have said, a muffler works great. I noticed quite a reduction in noise when I put the hose on the exhaust port and it may be another way to reduce noise.

I've owned the Ceros and the Mirka shop vac that they sell to go with it and have been more than pleased. What I find is that it's size makes it nice for taking on site, it's quiet and very efficient keeping the air dust free. I've sanded drywall in someone's home and they barely knew I had been there.

The Mirka vac has a high and low setting and a setting that senses when the sander is on which turns the sander on and off automatically. It's a sweet setup.

Shop vac's are out there on craigslist for cheap, why not have a couple different ones for different needs. I agree that a big shop vac is nice.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Please explain this comment. If you mean dealing with static build up in the hose, I do not believe that to be a problem. I am using a standard shop vac and the same sander. There definitely is static build up during sanding sessions, however, it is very mild and I do not believe it is anything to worry about. This si my opinion based on practical experience. I have no empirical evidence.
    I'm in SoCal and don't have much issue with static here. When sanding in a cold climate I have experienced lots of issues with static. A tracksaw with vac attached will eventually give you some issue with dust blocking the inside but that takes some time. A sander causes an issue much faster. I finally bought a Festool vac with the anti-static system when doing a big project in my vacation house in UT.
    Clearly its very cold in the winter in your area. If you aren't seeing a problem perhaps the higher humidity helps. It sounds like you would have a better idea of what he will see in his climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Two tools that are pretty decent on their own but will not work together at all well. What is the plan for a hose to connect them and how will you deal with adjusting the suction? Are you just going to toss the anti-static in your winter use?
    The Bosch sander has a "suction control" opening that is supposed to work (have no idea how well - but I'll try it and report back). I bought a Bosh vac hose ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s01).

Your points are very valid and I considered them - but in the end, I figured the Ridgid vac's cost is a very small risk to run (if not satisfied I will be out of $100 only) versus spending money ($700) on a clearly better product that might be overkill for my needs. That said, you can rest assured that the lust was and is there!

Smart move.