Thread: Pickings were a bit skimpy, yesterday

Pickings were a bit skimpy, yesterday

And today wasn't a whole lot better. About half the sales that said they'd be open...weren't....guess which ones had tools in their listings......yeh, right. One sale today, we got there 5 minutes after it opened....30 cars were already there. Can you say Feeding Frenzy? Almost needed my old flak vest to wade into that mess....

Anyway, one sale today, spent a dime. A size 10 Irwin auger bit, 15-1/2" long. End of the shaft was a 1/4" hex drive.

As for yesterday's pickings? Meh...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    I spent a whopping $4.25 for this pile. A 1248 ( No.110) block plane....the coping saw ( like I NEED another one) is a PowrKraft No.100
    IMAG0003.jpg
    The bevel square is a Stanley No. 46-825....plastic handle. The folder is a Lufkin X-46. It might be worth the cash I paid for the entire pile.

The tool box stash also had a Lufkin ruler, a No. 066. There is a bit of a size difference..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    But the lines match up perfectly.
    I'll try to get a picture of the Irwin, once I finish with a clean up. Maybe tomorrow, I can get out before the thundering herds arrive. I even had 10 of them following me around, from sale to sale...sheesh.

Today wasn't much better....Just a Stanley 24" level, No. H1294-24"...$1...meh..

Ok, here is the rest of the stuff from the weekend...
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Actually, that hammer came from the tool box horde, handle needed replaced, due to cracks.
    Drill bit is an Irwin #10, at 15-1/2" long...
    IMAG0009.jpg
    The "business end". Has one good spur. Tape on the end of the hammer handle is something I always do. Lets me know when the handle is getting near the end in my hand.
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Level still had a price tag on it.....$9.96..I paid a dollar for it. Haven't tested it yet. 24" level by Stanley. No.1297
    The other end of the auger?
    IMAG0008.jpg
    made for a hex drive. Might be worth the dime I paid for it.

With all the "bad luck" this weekend, I did have time to rehab a large drill..
    IMAG0004.jpgIMAG0001.jpg
    Maybe there was some good in the weekend....

Not too bad, for someone who can't use the right hand.....all those blisters have "popped", dead skin has come off, right hand is all wrapped up in gauze.....have to use two hands on the mouse's buttons.

Side handle on the #120.....it was like this when I bought it. Should I shape it any? I doubt IF i would do a whole new handle. Maybe shape the one that is there to look more like the crank's handle?

For some reason, everytime I do get a "new" claw hammer, the others in the till seem to walk away and hide. Should have 5 hammers like this one....haven't seen a one today.

Ok, I took that "broomhandle" down to the shop last night. Too short to put in the lathe.....narrow beltsander did a decent enough job, with what I had to work with..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    It will just have to do, for now.....

Sooo,now I have a few drills ready to go..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    And have one left to do..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    That has a "No. 5" stamped into the crank handle. At least it has two gears under the drive gear. The chuck has a set screw in it, though? Not sure why.... Drive gear is a nice wide one, too.

Will need to build an overhead rack to store these in, plus another one or two. Is it possible to have too many drills? Along with 10 braces....

I now have a plywood panel, 1/2" thick. There are a series of 1/2" diameter holes drilled. 7-8 of them. There is enough room between the holes for the drills to hang, by the shaft behind the chuck. I then cut to the holes with a saw, to make the holes into slots. The slots flair out a bit, to add a bit of wiggle room. On my next trip down to the shop, will drive three screws up through the plywood panel, and into an overhead beam, hopefully where my head won't be hitting the drills. I think I can even hang the 14" sweep brace up there, as it is too big for the till.

Photos will be later, when I can take a few...

And a few photos?
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Notched plywood
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Installed overhead...and..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    4 eggbeaters, 1 breast drill,1 10" sweep brace, and 1 14" brace.
    IMAG0004.jpgAnd, I don't even get close to them with my head.

Still have 2 other braces to hide somewhere. I think I might have enough eggbeaters, now?