Thread: Back at it - wood ID?

Back at it - wood ID?

It's been WAY too long, but I'm back (ish)
    I came across this wood today. I'm posting a picture of the leaves and berries.
    The wood itself has a thin smooth blotchy bark that reminds me a little of sycamore, but the wood is HEAVY and RED! The tree was cut in New Smyrna Beach FL, near the ocean... That's pretty much all I know right now.
    I'll cut it up tomorrow and provide pictures.
    red.jpg
    Change One Thing

the berries say "holly" but the leaves do not.

I have seen some reddish streaks in holly, but overall it is very light colored.

Dahoon Holly looks similar and grows in Florida.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Possibly Russian Olive (ealiagnus ,note:spelling is so bad that spell check is baffled ) considered by some to be invasive,grows well on sea shore.

I'd say Photina. (Google it.) It lines the north boundary of our property. Clusters of white flowers in the spring that my bees love, then red berries in the fall. The Mocking birds love it for nesting.

There is nothing in the photo that provides a scale for judging the length of the leaves. If the leavers are small, like 3/4" or less, then it looks to me like Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria), a member of the holly family. It is a native plant to the Southeast. It has been used extensively as an ornamental plant, but grows large and aggressive in the right conditions and the seeds are spread in bird droppings. It can become a real nuisance.

Take a look at this link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_vomitoria , which has a nice picture. The distribution map in that link is wrong because you see them all the time in the remote forested areas of North Alabama.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Have cut hundreds of yaupons in the south but the wood is consistently pure white.