Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use car electronic sensors?

Backup cameras will be standard in all new cars as of the 2018 model year. Many new cars already have them. My parents bought a used 2014 car recently and an absolute requirement for them was to have a backup camera built-in.

Blog Entries
    Technology is great if used intelligently. Our friend just called last night after being rear-ended by a guy. His defense was that his proximity alarm didn't go off until after he had hit her (what does this possibly have to do with operating a motor vehicle)??? He expected the automatic braking to take care of this and was quite confused as to how this could have happened. She is a little banged up but, otherwise OK. It is great that we are making cars more intelligent and safer. I just don't like the trade off that seems to be developing in the operator's ability/responsibility.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I appreciate everyone's help. I will get the BSM and rear camera, but pass on the lane departure and automatic braking. They would raise the price from $25k to $30k, and they sound like more trouble than they are worth.

Blind spot has saved my bacon quite a few times on I-95 between here and DC. The forward collision warning has also provided benefits, although not as frequently. And Adaptive Cruise Control is the bee's knees...I'd never buy a vehicle without it at this point. My wife's next new car will also have it. I don't have them/like them to avoid the responsibility of being behind the wheel. Rather, I like them because they can react faster than I humanly can when the "other idiots" on the road do stupid things.

That said, the tech does come with some risk for repairs post-warranty, so if you're someone who keeps a vehicle for a long time beyond the normal warranty, it may be worth considering a manufacturer extended service contract (avoid third party if you can) if you load up on the goodies. In the past, I never would have said that, but for my current vehicle that has a lot of both electronic tech and an air suspension system, the ESC has paid for itself already since I do a ton of miles and ran out of warranty in about half the time most folks do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never use cruise control; I pay less attention to the road if I have it on. Adaptive Cruise Control would probably put me right to sleep.

I got a 6 year extended warranty on my current car. 5 years in, I haven't had any service on it. I am giving it to my son; hopefully he will have equally good luck with it.

My mom just bought the 2016 Escape Titanium my dad had been looking at for her. I have a 2012 Escape Limited model which was top of the line that year. The changes in technology are amazing! Hers has the active park assist which will parallel park itself. There's no key, just need to have the fob on you and the doors unlock when you put your hand in the handle and the tailgate opens by swinking your foot under the bumper. To start it you just step on the brake and press a button. There's a whole host of other improvements as well.

Drives REALLY nice too. I drove it about 40 minutes each way late last week to go deal with some banking matters with her. Makes me want to trade mine.

Not a fan of any of the electronic nanny devices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Technology is great if used intelligently. Our friend just called last night after being rear-ended by a guy. His defense was that his proximity alarm didn't go off until after he had hit her (what does this possibly have to do with operating a motor vehicle)??? He expected the automatic braking to take care of this and was quite confused as to how this could have happened. She is a little banged up but, otherwise OK. It is great that we are making cars more intelligent and safer. I just don't like the trade off that seems to be developing in the operator's ability/responsibility.
    Not to turn this conversation off onto a Sawstop rant but that guys defense would by like you purposely running your fingers into a Sawstop blade and expecting the safety system to work. I ALWAYS act as if safety systems aren't even there. They exist to back my up in case my own vigilance fails.

Someday, the SS safety system is going to fail because all systems fail for one reason or another. To my knowledge, there has never been an amputation with a SS system in place but the day will come and that's a risk I'm willing to assume. Or maybe I'm wrong. I believe that Otis is very proud that no elevator has ever fallen with a properly maintained Otis brake in place.