Thread: Dewalt 5 hp GE motor question

Dewalt 5 hp GE motor question

Hi,

Does anyone know what the 5 HP single phase DeWalt GE radial arm saws pulled for amps? I need to wire some 220 for one but the motor plate's missing and I cannot for the life of me find anything online showing the amount of amps. I don't know if I need 10-2 or 8-2 wire.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

The motor plate on mine reads 30 amps. It's a beast!

--Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hermann View Post
    The motor plate on mine reads 30 amps. It's a beast!

--Mike
    LOL.

If it's 30 amperes and only 5 HP it's a low power factor, low efficiency motor. A modern 3,600 RPM motor with good efficiency and power factor is about 20 amperes.

regards, Rod.

The motor on my 16" 5hp 1ph reads 30A as well. I'm planning to wire it with 10-2.
    Cheers,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

The 5hp motor probably draws 20-22 amps at full load. It will need to be on a 30 amp breaker due to the start-up load (and 10 ga. wire).

John

Although the newer motors are 20 amp motors, My 1954 GE has 30 amps on the motor plate, and I'd guess that Adam's GE would also be from the same era. My assumption then is that it could/would draw 30-ish at full load, and I would plan accordingly. You would need to be doing something serious to get it to pull all that juice though, so that could be taken into consideration too.

--Mike