Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander

Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Anyone that owns one have any regrets?

I have the 25-50 and don't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Anyone that owns one have any regrets?
    None at all, you won't regret it

Blog Entries
    Love it. Would do it again. For me it is the perfect balance between footprint and capacity.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 25/50 and am more than happy with it. I was looking for a used 19/38 for over a year and just when I was ready to order a new one from Acme (no tax & free shipping) I found an almost new 25/50 for $500. I cannot believe how much I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.
    I'm having an envy attack.

It's at the top of my list.

One of these days ......

Since I have your attention, what sandpaper grits do you use the most, and which ones should I just avoid?

I have read 80 and 120 grits pretty much does it all.

I love mine, and use it on just about every project. I purchased a bunch of paper in the 3 pack bundles, but find I use mostly 120 and 180. The finish is good, but not what you get from a ROS. So I always finish sand with my Festool ROS anyway, so I'm just asking the drum sander to get flat and reasonably smooth. You won't regret this purchase.

I'm getting to the point where I love mine. I've had a bit of a learning curve to take really small incremental bites to avoid dips in the board when the feed speed alters even for a fraction of a second. I find I need to keep constant hand pressure on the boards to ensure they never vary in feed rate through the sander. Still don't know how to avoid pitch buildup on the drum and resulting burned streaks-- mostly a problem after hitting a pitch pocket in cherry, though I've had them appear when sanding clear maple as well. I've found the digital thickness gauge to be completely useless. Much better off to lower the drum until it just kisses the board then go in increments of ~1/8 of a turn. It's a slower process that requires a lot more skill and attention than I might have hoped, but still produces a good result faster than using a hand sander. Probably I came into it with overblown expectations. The only other drum sander I had used before was a big industrial machine with a much more positive drive setup with powered rollers like a planer has.

Getting the sandpaper tail to "catch" in the right hand clip can be a real exercise in frustration. On the left you can see what's going on and it's easy, on the right you have to do it by feel and I never seem to get it into the correct slot. There's not enough room for my fat fingers to feel what's going on in the hole provided.

I bought long rolls of sandpaper from Klingspor, much cheaper than the pre-cut strips.

I have the 19-38 and love it. Take small bites and it works great. I try and use it on every project.

Roger, your experiences mirror mine exactly. I also put hand pressure on the piece on infeed and outfeed sides to ensure it doesn't slip on the conveyor, which causes divots in the piece. Very light passes and slow speeds are the key.

And yes, the design engineers really messed with us in how they setup the inboard sandpaper connection gizmo. Talk about frustrating.

But overall, even with its idiosyncrasies, I really like the machine. Huge time saver in my shop.

I buy the precut papers from Acme. Prices are always good and I don't have to worry about messing up a piece.

Tight grained woods like cherry, maple, alder, etc will create more heat and have greater chance of build up and then sticking to the paper which will burn a line in your stock. Pitch build up from pine will ruin a roll in a heartbeat. Sanding the tight grained woods just takes longer - if you rush it, you'll spend more time cleaning/changing paper. I take 1/64 (1/8 of a turn on the handle) passes.

If you have any cupping on a board, feeding it with the cupped part up with definitely stall and sand a divot. Hand pressure like Clay and Roger ensures safe sanding, but it really sucks to have to stand there pressing down on the in and out feed. I've considered building a spring loaded pressure bar and tapping it into the in/outfeed so I don't have to stand over a piece.

Buy a SD Belt Cleaner. Buy ACME's assorted grit pack: http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/...ools-60-19-000 and then whatever grit you like the most. I prefer 150 and 180. I can go straight to 180 with stain grade material out of my insert planer - then touch up with ROS. Paint grade I use 150.
    -Lud

I have an older Performax 37x2 and love it. The truth is I never use the second drum.

Supermax is the latest iteration of Performax after the whole Jet Tools spinoff and buyback. The guys there are VERY VERY helpful if you have any questions or problems.

I buy my paper from Klingspor. I went with the rolls but find that cutting my own is a PITA. It's easy to make a mistake and leave a long length of paper unusable. Next time I may get pre-cuts even though they cost a good bit more.

The rubber belt cleaning stick is a must. I even use mine on my ROS disks to unload dust and make them last longer

Performax made a wrench for setting the right end of the paper that is a godsend. I'm not sure if this is still available or works with the newer machines.

I use mine as a wide planer/surfacer so I tend to only use one or two grits (60, 80, or 100) and then switch to my Festool sander.
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 01-21-2016 at 9:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Its almost like we're twin sons of different mothers . . .

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'm getting to the point where I love mine. I've had a bit of a learning curve to take really small incremental bites to avoid dips in the board when the feed speed alters even for a fraction of a second. I find I need to keep constant hand pressure on the boards to ensure they never vary in feed rate through the sander. Still don't know how to avoid pitch buildup on the drum and resulting burned streaks-- mostly a problem after hitting a pitch pocket in cherry, though I've had them appear when sanding clear maple as well.
    I agree on the learning curve. I have experienced all the things you mention and the solution to all of them is proper grit and speed. Paper changes take under 2 minutes so I never waste time making a ton of small-bite passes. I can change grits a couple of times and spend less overall time (and my avrasives last longer) . ;-)

I've found the digital thickness gauge to be completely useless. Much better off to lower the drum until it just kisses the board then go in increments of ~1/8 of a turn.
    True, think about it . . . abrasive grits are different sizes and backings vary. You would have to zero the DRO for every paper change. I took a pass.

Getting the sandpaper tail to "catch" in the right hand clip can be a real exercise in frustration. On the left you can see what's going on and it's easy, on the right you have to do it by feel and I never seem to get it into the correct slot. There's not enough room for my fat fingers to feel what's going on in the hole provided.
    I get the need for the spring-loaded catch on the right side due to rotation direction but, man, that thing needs a redesign despite being the easiest one I've found on home shop scale drum sanders. When others I've seen are so bad, being better isn't tough but, it wouldn't take much more to make it MUCH better.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Roger, your experiences mirror mine exactly.
    I'm seeing a pattern here ;-) Despite the 19-38 being a great machine, proper grit selection and feed rates still apply. The paper catch seems to be the universal complaint despite its superiority to the other guys. Having used / played with other open-end machines I have NO regrets with the 19-38.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-21-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't have any issues whatsoever with 19-38 like others have. Paper change is silly easy. The spring clamps are effortless. The DRO has its place but using the drum itself to set height works fine too.

I just feed my boards and walk to the other side. I'm not applying infeed or outfeed pressure at all. Boards come out great.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 01-21-2016 at 12:38 PM.