Thread: Need a source for 1/8" Maple plywood

Need a source for 1/8" Maple plywood

Hi guys.
    I want to trim out a cheaply done set of kitchen cabinets for my folks. The builder grade cabinets have maple doors but MDF sides "veneered" with wood grained contac paper. Over the years, the paper's gotten torn and scuffed. They want a cheap upgrade for just the sides. (They don't want me to paint the cabinets to hide the contac paper. Want to keep the honey color they've had forever. "Just cover up the sides Freddy." - Sigh)

I don't know any of the companies I see online and my local yards don't carry it. Can anyone recommend a reliable source that ships? I need a half sheet (4' x4') of 1/8" maple ply.

(I could resaw some if necessary, but I'd rather not.)

Thank you!
    Fred

You might consider peel-and-stick veneer sheets. Very easy installation. Tape-ease sells many species, and they ship. http://www.tapeease.com/PSA_veneer_sheets.htm

Blog Entries
    Here's one source that has 1/8" maple plywood. I have never dealt with them. They are located in Massachusetts, so it may not be close to you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you guys! Both are good ideas!
    Fred

Baltic Birch Plywood comes in 3mm - 1/8" thickness. Birch and Maple are close to each other in my eye.

If you use the plywood how are you planning on covering the ply's? I would go with the veneer as suggested, Just be sure to have the substrate smooth to prevent the defects from telegraphing to the surface.

Thanks Buck.

Gene, I've seen this done in other kitchens, and unless you're actually looking for it, you don't see the plies. Three sides are hidden by the frames of the cabinets (they overlap the sides about 3/16") and the bottom side is below adult eye level.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-30-2016 at 7:44 AM.

D&D Plywood seems to have pretty much every species, incl. maple.

Where are you?
    JR