Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found a source for vintage plane irons.

I found a source for vintage plane irons.

A couple of days ago I met with an old man 86 years of age but still going strong. He used to be a cabinet maker before he retired twenty years ago or something like that. We began to speak about tools and he showed me all his wooden handplanes most of them he had made by himself. They were beautiful with hornbeam bodys and soles from lignum vitae. They were mostly fittet with laminatet E.A. Berg irons. I think he could see my interest and said I should build my own plane. Then he took out a large box containing at least a hundred E.A Berg plane irons and chip breakers. There were a few Peogeut and Two Cherries too. None of them were used. NOS so to speak. Most of them had very lightly rust on the surface but nothing serious. It turned out he had been helping cleaning up an old hand plane factory when They turned the key and went out of business some years ago and got paid in plane irons. I have No idea of How awaileble these plane irons are so I bought a few really cheap and will try to make me a wooden hand plane some Day.

If it is of any interest I think he would be willing to sell more of them.
    Last edited by Lasse Hilbrandt; 01-30-2016 at 7:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post

If it is of any interest I think he would be willing to sell more of them.
    Are you KIDDING?

Details, please !

I cant give much details now. I would need to visit him again to take some pictures. Most of the blades are tapered and some of them are definately laminatet as you are able to see the lamination from the side of the blade. Others Im not sure if they are in fact laminatet but anyway they should be of good steel.
    Any special requests ?

Tell him that he can make a small fortune when he sells them in the US. Prices for Berg stuff are through the roof on ebay at the moment.

I allready have plenty of old plane irons, so I probably shouldn't get interested.

I don't think anyone is uninterested... I know I'm going to watch this.

Blog Entries
    I would even be interested without plans to make anything in that size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lasse

It would be a nice discovery for your new friend that his pile of plane blades could bring him in a tidy bonus at his age. And better that he sell them than heirs who know little about them.

I reckon that he could get about $50 per Berg blade, as long as he does not flood the market.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I just spoke wiht him on the phone. He is not interested in going to the postoffice everytime one wants an iron. I suggested him that I bourght the lot of we could find a fair price. Then I will do the work of take pictures and measure sizes and put them up for sale on the Creek. The idea is not to make a lot of $$$. The Idea is to sell them for the cost price + shipping expenses. Then the rule is that when the buyer take the Iron into use he makes a short thread with pictures about it on the Creek. Those threads will by my profit.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

We'd call that the mother load! I agree with Derick. I would at least have the conversation to see if he understands what he has.

I searched high and low for tapered 2 1/8" irons and chipbreakers for a couple planes I'm rehabbing. Finally found 2 from Hyperkitten (Josh went above and beyond to get these for me...great guy), and one from fellow creeker Alfred.
    They are indeed becoming rare. I think they would go fast and fetch good $.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    I just spoke wiht him on the phone. He is not interested in going to the postoffice everytime one wants an iron. I suggested him that I bourght the lot of we could find a fair price. Then I will do the work of take pictures and measure sizes and put them up for sale on the Creek. The idea is not to make a lot of $$$. The Idea is to sell them for the cost price + shipping expenses. Then the rule is that when the buyer take the Iron into use he makes a short thread with pictures about it on the Creek. Those threads will by my profit.
    Please keep me on the list !

No worries

13. Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    I cant give much details now. I would need to visit him again to take some pictures. Most of the blades are tapered and some of them are definately laminatet as you are able to see the lamination from the side of the blade. Others Im not sure if they are in fact laminatet but anyway they should be of good steel.
    Any special requests ?
    Make sure the guy gets fair value for them. And I want a few.

Blog Entries
    Are you all looking for NOS tapered irons, or would good users in need of a little cleaning work also? I have a couple dozen, including a couple Bergs.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Being from Denmark myself, I am very curious to know what Company he got them from.