Thread: Freud SD208 Chippers Confusion

Freud SD208 Chippers Confusion

Several years ago I was gifted the SD208 dado set.
    I already had an inexpensive set, and I normally use the router table for dados and grooves, so I hadn't opened the SD208 until yesterday.
    I have some confusion about the chippers I have with the set.
    The Freud site shows the chippers included are two 1/8" and one 1/16", and a set of spacers.
    My set has four chippers that measure 0.275 and one that measures 0.143.
    I needed to cut some 7/16 dados and the included chart shows I need the outer blades and one 1/8 shim and one 1/16 shim.

Anyone have any idea how my set could have these 'oddball' chippers?

Thanks

Did you do a test cut? The carbide tips overlap, so measuring the tips and summing doesn't give you the dado width.

I'm familiar how they work Matt, I'm just not understanding how I have 4 huge chippers? "-)

Freud probably changed the set since you got yours. I have the same set and it has the 4 big and 1 small chipper. I got an instruction sheet from Freud that gave the measurements and what chippers to use. I just use this as I guide. I measure the width once the blades are on.

One thing I found was with today's plywood you can't make the size on the dado so the dados are usually too big. 3/4 would be too big since the 3/4 ply is smaller. I just go smaller with the dado and just move the fence so I get a better fit.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Freud probably changed the set since you got yours. I have the same set and it has the 4 big and 1 small chipper. I got an instruction sheet from Freud that gave the measurements and what chippers to use. I just use this as I guide. I measure the width once the blades are on.

One thing I found was with today's plywood you can't make the size on the dado so the dados are usually too big. 3/4 would be too big since the 3/4 ply is smaller. I just go smaller with the dado and just move the fence so I get a better fit.
    Thanks Don, that helps.
    I have the older version apparently, someone on mentioned there was a replacement.
    Funny thing is, the chart shows info for the new version with 1/8 and 1/16 chippers.
    I'll call Freud tomorrow for a chart for what I have.

Are the outside blades the same, I'd think not.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Massingale View Post
    Are the outside blades the same, I'd think not.

Ken
    If the chart shows using a 1/8 and a 1/16 shim plus the two blades to get 7/16 them the blades must each be 1/8. That combo totals 7/16. My problem with this set up is there will be a 3/16 piece left in the middle of the dado. I would use the two blades and 1/8 and one 1/16 chipper so there is nothing left in the middle. I would definitely make a test cut
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Because the teeth nest into each other, carbide is wider than delivered cut. Measure the thickness of the plate to get actual width of cut. My set has two outside, four thicker, and one thinner chippers. I always run a test cut to check width.

Thanks guys, I found the problem.
    ME, I'm a moron! :-)

This is not the only stupid move I made this weekend, just the only one I made public.

What was the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What was the problem?

I was going by the cutter width, not the plate thickness.

That carbide overlap is what allows you to shim them and not create a line of left over material.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That carbide overlap is what allows you to shim them and not create a line of left over material.

And also insures you do leave a sliver in the dado.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.