Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

1 Feb 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Trying to get a head start on posting since I'm off work and have a doctor's appt to get to. Been wrestling with vehicle troubles and I dislike vehicle troubles. I never knew that I'd be wrestling with vehicle issues at my age. My 2 boys, still living at home, are always needing transportation for something and I need transportation to get to/from work and etc. My old truck is down for the count because my gracious SIL is fixing it for me. I bought parts and have more parts on the way. I'm going to pay him for the work but I just strongly dislike vehicle troubles.

Making some room in my shop so I can get started working on things once more. I just need time to get things under control. The LOML and I are still working out at least 3 times each week at the gym we joined and in 5 weeks time, I've lost 10 pounds in weight and 2 inches from around my mid-section. I'm feeling better and really enjoying the workout and the weight loss.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis, the only wood working I did was to make this jig to install lamacoids on equipment racks.

Where I work we have about 400 racks, and they're all getting new engraved labels.

This jig has some magnets inside to hold it to the rack, you simply line up the left edge of the jig with the left edge of the rack and you can stick the lamacoid on the rack in the correct spot, and level, every time.

Regards, Rod.

Underside View.jpgTop View.jpgJig in Use.jpg

Picked up the hardware and assembled a mobile base for my Unisaw. Fittingly, I used old wood for the base. Twelve years ago, I had torn the roof off a 70-year-old shed 10 or so years ago and as we were hefting the rafters into the dumpster, we were grumbling about how heavy these old 2x4s were. Discovered they were oak (mix of red and white). I'll have to post a picture later today. I'm not really a fan of the oaky look, usually, but man that white oak is gorgeous. Not to mention hard as a rock, especially after all those years baking as a rafter!

Saturday was pretty much an all-day road trip. I drove down to Portland with my daughter to attend the Fine Print Fair 2016. Stone lithography is her thing, like woodworking is mine...except that she's actually good at it, has pursued it academically and professionally, and is actually making a name for herself in it

Sunday, I was back to work on the veneered bookcase for my other daughter's upcoming birthday (it'll be similar to this IKEA Valje Shelf Unit). I ended up deciding to build a dado jig for my router, so I can get exact width cuts for the center shelf and partitions. Because each piece of birch ply has been covered with a 3/32" veneer of CVG Doug fir and then sanded and scraped, no two ends are exactly the same thickness. After running a few trial cuts, I went ahead and plowed out the first of 6 dados that I'll need to cut, but then discovered that I still need to fine tune the jig a bit.

I upgraded the dust collection on my bandsaw. 10x worth it. It's the first time I've cut up one of my tools so I was a little concerned but I'm really happy with the results. Side note even my wife was like what are you doing After test resawing a 2x4 there was no dust on the wheel or in the bottom chamber and a fraction of dust ran most of the way through the saw and ended up coming down through the top. That could have been residual though from previous cuts. I'm having trouble with pictures but I'll see if I can get them up.

IMG_20160130_183259803_HDR.jpgIMG_20160130_183320041.jpg
    Last edited by Daniel O'Neill; 02-01-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    I upgraded the dust collection on my bandsaw. 10x worth it. It's the first time I've cut up one of my tools so I was a little concerned but I'm really happy with the results. Side note even my wife was like what are you doing After test resawing a 2x4 there was no dust on the wheel or in the bottom chamber and a fraction of dust ran most of the way through the saw and ended up coming down through the top. That could have been residual though from previous cuts. I'm having trouble with pictures but I'll see if I can get them up.

IMG_20160130_183259803_HDR.jpgIMG_20160130_183320041.jpg
    That's a great idea, and I like the use of the angled dust port. Did you caulk or seal around the port at all, or just screw it tight?
    ~Garth

I'm working on a Krenov-inspired, cabinet-on-stand. The stand is built and I got the cabinet assembled. I'm currently working on the back frame & panel. The doors will have to wait until I get back from my 21 day offshore hitch that starts tomorrow.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    That's a great idea, and I like the use of the angled dust port. Did you caulk or seal around the port at all, or just screw it tight?
    Thanks I wish I could take credit for it. The saw originally had less than a 1" capacity. I did caulk around the whole that I cut. I was using a foam backer rod but it wouldn't stay in place. I wanted the air to come from other directions rather than a gap between the door and the adapter. I used 4 - 1/2" nuts & bolts with the bolts facing out so that they would not encounter the wheel. I read that there was not much space between the wheel cover and the wheel itself so I wanted to keep things as tight as possible. This is the adapter I used if anyone wants to do the same. It took me a while to find the angled one which I wanted because it will a) fit better with my planned design and b) be out of my way as I'm using the saw.

I finally finished a 1790 sheraton style occasional table in quarter-sawn and burl sycamore, needs a little more polishing on the top. I'll post a Photo when I get some taken, this one took a while..the veneer fought me all the way! Phew.

Dennis, I hear you on the transportation thing! The older's work schedule is really interfering with The Professor's and my own work days. On Sunday, we "made" her try an Uber ride (to a store she needed to go to anyway) in preparation for potentially using that to get her to work on days where our own work schedules get in the way. Most days, the younger gets rides to work and she'll be "hopefully" passing her driver's test on 10 March. Accordingly, Professor Dr. SWMBO and I snuck out to a quick lunch and then did some test driving for her (The Professor's) new Subaru...her current one will become the third vehicle for the younger to drive as we know it's well maintained and safe. Transportation is one of the hardest family things we have with a 16 and 20 year old, especially with the latter not suited to driving and having work, therapy and many medical complaints! At least the younger is more self-sufficient, responsible and assertive to get rides when we just can't do it.

I spent time in the shop both Saturday and Sunday working on the buffet/hutch project I started a few weeks ago. The buffet carcass is essentially completed including face frame installed with just a few small details and the T&G boards I need to make for the back. On Sunday, I got started on the drawer fronts and doors...here's a small "teaser"....

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...