Thread: Formica Type Material

Formica Type Material

I have a free source for the top layer of Formica type sheet, they are off cuts from making up laminated work surfaces, mostly for shop fitting. The material is less than a millimeter in thickness and quick brittle, but on my 90w laser I cut a couple of 25mm square test tests at 70% power and 40mm/s and it cut very easily, I might well be able to go less power and more speed, but at the moment I don't want to as I'm not sure what the stuff is made of.

If if it turns out to be safe I might use cut out shapes that can then be fixed onto plywood. I make clocks with contrasting backs and fronts and this might be a good use of the material.

Anyway, does anyone know if this material is safe to use?
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Blog Entries
    Just make sure you exhaust the remnants properly... burning the resin is pretty nasty.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I used to cut loads of formica. Lasers good but you have clean the edges.

I also have used it a lot, mostly Wilsonart laminate for ADA signs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks for the replies, sounds good, the laser has a very good exhaust, couldn't smell anything coming off the laminate as it was cut. I did another few test cuts, going upto 100mm/s still at 70% power and it still cut well. Slight smoke residue on edges.

I think I'll get a load more, not fully sure how I'm going to use it yet, I think it's glued down using contact adhesive onto a backing panel, at the moment on my two part clocks which are plywood I use superglue, which works well, but I'm not sure this will work too well with the laminate, time to get experimenting.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

For most of mine, I mount it onto 1/4" black acrylic, then cut, and do the ADA letters and braille. It also takes vinyl lettering well, for office suite signs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green