Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cherry sideboard completed

cherry sideboard completed

I always like looking at completed projects on here for inspiration and wanted to share mine for the same reason. I just finished this sideboard. This was the largest piece i've ever done. The worst part was that i moved further north in the middle of making this and one of the center dividers cracked (I think due to moisture changes) and i had to take the whole case apart. Even without that issue, this took me almost a year given the few hours each week i get in the shop and two very young kids around. I'm looking forward to making some compatible end tables that i can finish a lot quicker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it, tim. It looks very homey and well placed.

Congratulations on completing such an involved project. Best of luck, but don't expect your other projects to take much less time with all the other entertainment you've got going on. I've learned it takes tremendous focus to bring a large project to completion. It's a very nice piece of furniture that will help define your home.

Nice work !

Very impressive work, Tim!

Blog Entries
    That came out great Tim. I appreciate your commitment to complete it given the challenges of limited time and life in general going on while building it. I like that you didn't shy away from the sapwood. I often use sapwood in cherry as a design element and think some folks miss an opportunity if they dye it out or send it to the burn pile. Did you do the stained glass? Don't worry about getting the end tables done quicker. As long as their done in time for the kids to inherit them, you're good .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is really nice. Love the knife hinges Can I ask your source?

The design/fit looks spot on.

I heard you wrt the young kids. Time gets a *little* easier as they get older. Trust me!

Did you make the panels yourself?

In the spirit of constructive (hopefully) criticism: I might have selected difference drawer pulls. The ones you've selected seem a little home-storey for such an otherwise high end piece.

Love it. I really enjoy the use of the stained glass.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

I like a little bit of sapwood. You can't really see the top, but i have a nice wide 12" board as the center, with a little sapwood on each side as well. I like that little pop of white here and there.

I've seen some nice arts and crafts furniture with stained glass, so i decided to do it here. I did it myself, first time. It's not the cleanest and i'm not in love with the design i came up with, but i think it looks nicer than a clear sheet of glass.

i bought the stainless steel knife hinges from Lee Valley.

i never loved the pulls either. My wife picked them out a long time ago. As i was finishing, i was considering making pulls out of walnut, but never really came up with a design or felt i had the time to do it. I'm going to try some on the end tables i make and maybe eventually replace these. The one thing i do like about them is that the patina matches the solder of the stained glass, so at least it ties that together.

Beautiful work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That looks great! I think you did a good job with the proportions of various elements.

I showed my wife your use of stained glass for the door panels. I may come to regret doing that. By the way, did you allow for removing/replacing those panels?

beautiful work, I really like how the stained glass looks

I think the project turned out very nice Tim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice! Love cherry

Blog Entries
    Tim,

Gorgeous work!

I think your instinct on the pulls is accurate, if you don't mind my suggestion; something in the way of Greene and Greene style pulls would do well on this cabinet.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Great work on the stained glass. I agree that the pulls are a bit discordant because the lines on your piece are more timeless than the contemporary brushed nickel and don't complement the stained glass. Perhaps your wife wouldn't notice if you quietly d\ switched them out
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra