Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delta 46-715 1440 lathe parts

I’m not sure how to pm you in here. Sorry I’m new to this thread. I’m new to sawmill creek
    Last edited by Mike Lindberg; 02-10-2022 at 1:45 AM.

It looks like I can’t pm others until I have made 30 posts. How else can I contact you, Dick? Should I just post my email? Not real comfortable with that, with all the people posting spam mail.

I figured out that I had to be a paying member in order to send PM’s. So I sent my donation and then tried to pm you. It said you can’t receive, or have chosen not to receive PM’s. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, or what.

Mike,
    I guess I can't send PMs any more even though I can see my PMs from 2013. Email me at my new junk email g3m7a2i3l at gmail .com. We can share real information from there.

Awesome. I just sent you an email.

Did a quick search and came across this link.

https:// www .lumberjocks .com /denverdan/blog/72970
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-14-2022 at 10:21 AM. Reason: links to forums against TOS

I know that this thread is old, but it seems like a good place to record the details of replacing the Reeves drive pulley on the spindle of my Delta 46-715. My thanks to Carey Mitchell for answering some questions about his experience.

I used Jet part JWL 1442-161, which includes both halves of the pulley. The original movable half had shattered. I got the part from Mike’s Tools.

The bottom line is that I can now shift speeds smoothly, and I have a working lathe.

I did not have to modify the Jet parts at all. I did remove a small burr on the spindle with a file. After I used 320 grit sandpaper to clean up the very end of the spindle — the portion beyond the location of the fixed pulley half — the new halves went on easily. The moving half slid back and forth easily but without slop.

The hub of the movable half was a very snug fit into the yoke, just like the original. I used my bench vise to slowly press it in.

I lubricated the spindle and the motor shaft with spray silicone. I found a wide variety of advice on the best lubricant. I’ll have to keep an eye on this.

I had to replace the belt. The old one was much too loose with the new pulley. I used a link belt so that I could get the right size by trial and error.

Some things were lost with this repair.

a. Indexing. The fixed half of the original pulley had holes on the outside to accept the indexing pin. The Jet version doesn’t have those holes.

b. Hand wheel. Similarly, the hub of the original fixed half had 3 tapped holes to fasten on the hand wheel. The Jet version doesn’t.

c. Maybe the lowest two speeds. The Jet pulley is smaller in diameter. At the lowest speed or two, the belt may threaten to jump off the pulley.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply and detailed explanation of what you did. I will definitely check into this and hopefully get the parts ordered. Thanks again and have a great day.