Thread: Reversing Switch Inquiry

Reversing Switch Inquiry

I have a 1967 PM 90 that I plan to restore. I am a furniture maker that mostly does spindle turning with the rare faceplate turning of a Windsor stool seat. When I do get around to the restore what would be the benefits of putting a reversing switch on my machine? Appreciate any insight, thanks.

It can certainly help with sanding.

Cody, by what you are describing I would think you could do without reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    Cody, by what you are describing I would think you could do without reverse.
    Agreed. If you do add a reverse option, look into using set screws to lock the faceplates/chucks on to the spindle.

+1 to what Daryl said, even with spindles you do run into stubborn grain that sands better in reverse. Are you installing a VFD and 3 phase motor on it ?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

I was going to keep it stock on the speed selection for now. Most of what I turn is furniture parts and tool handles so it is mostly straight grain. I was just wondering if the cost was justifiable.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

If you ever do get a duplicator for spindle turning you could mount it on the back side and do your turning with the duplicator in reverse rotation, leave it setup and do your other and cleanup turning on the front side of the lathe, and yes sanding in both directions makes for a smoother finish, if you want that
    Have fun and take care