Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouch--Getting Saw Stop

I LOVE my sawstop. It contains the best instructions for saw assembly (I was told by a woodcraft store owner who had assembled many saws of many brands over the years).

I would also look at sliders to see if their space and cost worked for you. Some of them (I understand) can be purchased with some nice extras. I am not fully aware of what types of cuts can be done on one and not the other, so, evaluate the cut types to be sure that you can do what you want. For example, I understand that some European saws cannot use a Dado blade. And I have not heard good things about the SawStop Sliding table saw attachment, but, I am not really informed about this.

A friend came over and he wanted an angle cut on a small piece of wood (say 7"x1.5"x1.5"). It took me a while to figure out how to cut it safely. I don't care if it is a sawstop, I was still not going to purposely put my fingers that close to the blade. I ended up attaching it to a much larger board to make the cut (double sided sticky tape).

The SawStop is a nice saw, no question about it. They have great customer service, and, you can get parts if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Had a buddy denude the back of his fingers on a 24" disc sander, he's a pro in a machine shop.
    Another buddy came in with a devastating paper cut, couldn't shuffle the deck on poker night, he's an accountant.
    Took the flesh off the end of my thumb setting up a ladder a couple of weeks ago
    Shot a nail threw my thumb knuckle over a decade ago
    My hammer does not like any of my digits on the nail holding hand, or is that the other way around.... my hammer likes my digits.
    Had a pipe clamp fall 16' on my head years ago

I do like the idea of the SS technology and have no dog in this fight, but the best way to avoid injury is not to take the risk at all, find a new hobby or profession.
    If you decide to continue, minimize the risk by whatever manner you prefer, if SS is one of them have at it but just be aware the risk is always there.

Just think saftey first and foremost and don't let technology like the SS allow you to do otherwise.

you had a pipe clamp fall 16' on your head?
    that's not helping support the logic of your arguments!

Cutting small pieces.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

A friend came over and he wanted an angle cut on a small piece of wood (say 7"x1.5"x1.5"). It took me a while to figure out how to cut it safely. I don't care if it is a sawstop, I was still not going to purposely put my fingers that close to the blade. I ended up attaching it to a much larger board to make the cut (double sided sticky tape).

Hi Andrew, yes cutting small pieces is a challenge, here's a common solution for sliding saws.

It's a jig called "Fritz and Franz"

Here's a photo of mine, and a link to a video explaining how to make and use one. With a slider there's never a need to have your fingers close to the blade....Rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzVglze9Nk

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Buying an expensive SS will only keep you from getting hurt on ONE machine.
    Yes, but it's probably the most frequently used machine, and is also the one that injures people the most. So a SS reduces risk of serious injury in your shop. It may not eliminate risk of injury, but isn't a reduction of risk a good thing?

It all about letting your guard down.....
    Absolutely. I have a big nasty scar on my forehead from kickback that happened on my sawstop TS, because I'm an idiot. It don't solve stupid, that's for sure.

Bought a 5hp SS in 2006 - It saved my thumb a year ago December 2014 due to a stupid mistake I made.

I will prob own a nice euro slider someday too but for now its the only ts I need. The SS ICS is really well built. I break down plywood sheets with a tracksaw 90% of the time or the cnc cuts out the parts I want.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm with Marty.

Bandsaw, miter saw, jointer, scroll saw can all cut a finger off.

I agree with this myself. Maybe it's just me, but out of those four machines, the table saw is probably the tool I take the most caution to. I always have a push stick by my side, pre plan my hand positions, and never get within two inches of the blade. Of course I'm not a full time woodworker, so my case may be different. I actually had a close call with my bandsaw yesterday, I wasn't thinking and went for a piece of wood I cut off only about a half inch long with the saw running, and came within 1/16 of the blade. I'm not against Saw Stop, I will probably buy one some day, but it wouldn't make me feel much more or less safe

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    So... the question to ask now is "when are other machines - such as jointers - going to have blade stopping technology introducted?"! (I'm not really serious about this issue, I'm only tryin' to stir the pot!!)
    Probably when Saw Stop decides to stop suing anyone that tries to introduce similar technology: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/table...ble-saw_o.aspx

I love the Saw Stop idea because I like my fingers, but most of what I've read leads me to really hate the inventor of Saw Stop (also a lawyer) for trying to force his technology (and only his technology) on every other manufacturer.

Interesting... I like it

In my case, I had to cut an angle so that on the 7" long piece of wood, I had roughly 3/8" on one end and about 1" on the other. Do you think that you can do that kind of cut with this setup? My best guess is that you can create a push portion that is angled...

I really liked how it worked to cut a single straight edge. Also, it seemed to work well with a narrow piece end wise. I am impressed. Thanks for the link!

<EDIT>

Oh, see that he does exactly that kind of cut with that jig. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The safety feature is nice for the loved ones around us. To be honest, in day to day usage, the safety feature can be a MINOR nuisance: power up is not instant, it can fire if you use a metal miter fence and get careless when changing the angle or bevel of the blade (mine fired twice!).

Frankly, I have a prejudice that the program/electronics may not remain robust after years of use; but that is JUST prejudice. But it does make me as vigilant as if I had a regular saw.
    When the thing fires the blade and the brake are toast, right? Doesn't the machine have a way to safely test the stop circuit to make sure it is working where it doesn't destroy the blade and or brake? Something that the operator could do on a regular basis to make sure it works as its supposed to?

Another 3HP PCS SS owner here. Based on all my research on current models, to me there was just no question that the SawStop PCS was the best and smartest option available. The TS still gets the most respect regarding safety of any of the other tools in the shop, but Im glad to know there is at least a little extra security there just in case.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    When the thing fires the blade and the brake are toast, right? Doesn't the machine have a way to safely test the stop circuit to make sure it is working where it doesn't destroy the blade and or brake? Something that the operator could do on a regular basis to make sure it works as its supposed to?
    It self-tests every time as a part of the start-up sequence. that's why it takes about 5 seconds to get it going once you flip the on/off switch. Keep in mind that this is different than the start/stop switch, which works as fast as any other saw.

I'm with Marty.

Bandsaw, miter saw, jointer, scroll saw can all cut a finger off.

Pretty much this, actually.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
    I have a SS ICS version for about 7 years and am very glad. Very well designed/built saw regardless of the safety feature (even without that it is probably among the best cabinet saws in its class). Ideally, I'd like to have both this saw (for ripping) and a Euro-slider for everything else, which again is a safe saw.

Okay, I will chime in with only MY thoughts.

I too got hurt a few months back with my lathe. It wasn't a huge issue and all is well now. My surgeon was awesome and got me back to almost normal. On my last visit, to get the pins pulled out, we had a discussion about woodworking and how often she sees guys and gals like me. Without prompting, she told me that the table saw was the #1 issue she sees. I was intrigued and continued to listen.

Her theory was that with most other tools, she said the woodworker could pull their hand back, minimizing injury and with the table saw, it pulls your hand in and down. It really got me thinking. My accident really scared me and I haven't got back on the lathe yet. I went through each tool, thinking about what she said and although I don't think it's the only tool like that (jointer, lathe), I think because it is used so much more than other tools, her thoughts from a medical standpoint are true.

I am going to get a sawstop as soon as I can afford it. I would also replace other tools if/when this technology is applied to them.

Again, just my thoughts, from a 50 year old with over 30 years of woodworking.

I've had a 3HP PCS w/ 52" rails for a year. I upgraded from a RIDGID TS3650. My wife was very insistent that I make the upgrade. I am a computer programmer, so my hands are third only to my eyes and brain as far as making a living. I'm very happy with my purchase. The saw is a joy to use, and the assembly instructions are very clear. I have the overarm dust collector and industrial mobile base with the PCS conversion kit. The mobile base is great; it uses a hydraulic jack to lift the saw and you have full freedom of motion front-to-back and side-to-side.

Initially, I thought that the startup sequence was annoyingly long, but at this point I just leave the saw ON all the time. I do wish they would have less expensive ZCIs; I haven't purchased one (except for the dado one) yet. For my old saw, it was easy to make them, because a nail and the existing screw was enough to hold everything.

I have not had the brake fire, but it is relatively cheap insurance when compared to another similar cabinet saw. Whenever my wife tells people "It won't cut off your finger." I interject that it just "Reduces the risk of some kinds of injuries."