Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mallet

Blog Entries
    It looks like his may be out of solid stock.
    Yes they are. That cherry one has been around for about five years now:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ads-to-Another

It is still my favorite big whacker.

Sometimes I have a mallet at the Farmers Market. As people pass by I ask, "do you know anyone that is mallet adjusted?"

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes I have a mallet at the Farmers Market. As people pass by I ask, "do you know anyone that is mallet adjusted?"

jtk
    Ouch! That's pretty bad, and I come from a family full of shameless punners!

That said, I have to ask--has anyone ever requested a mallet-based attitude adjustment?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    Ouch! That's pretty bad, and I come from a family full of shameless punners!

That said, I have to ask--has anyone ever requested a mallet-based attitude adjustment?
    Mostly they just smile. I also ask them to help me out, "my wife calls this a hubby club... and I know just which hubby she is talking about."

Sometimes I mention Lincoln and then say, "with mallets towards none."

I can't sit still for five hours so try to have fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If Im not going to use the lignum vitae which is "pokkenholt" in my language by the way, could I use some walnut even though its not completely dry? Will the hole for the handle shrink or expand as the walnut dry out?

If the walnut is not dry it will shrink quite a bit. Not a terrible thing, as long as you plan for it. Make both the handle and the head out of the same stock and orient the grain the same way, and they both should shrink approximately the same amount over time. With the taper you plan on putting on the handle the head should creep up the handle rather than split if the head shrinks too much, or the reverse if the handle shrinks too much.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I have faced all my mallets with UHMW. This is gentler on wood handles than very hard wood or steel, yet strikes with a solid feel/good feedback.

At rear: 20 oz Thor hammer wacking furniture and chisels

At front: 36oz (heavy) morticing mallet for very hardwoods; 18oz Veritas Cabinetmakers hammer (re-handled) for general morticing and some chisels; small 7oz brass hammer for plane setting and dovetails with non-hooped chisels. (Gennous not included here)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Probably better just to find some dry wood for the head then. I already have an Ash handle from an old stretcher I plan to carve down to mallet handle size.

Derek
    The mallet on the ledt has a square section on the bottom of the handle. Isn't that giving you blisters and feels uncomftable in your palm. ?

Hi Lasse

The handle is only square at the very end. There are, in fact, two gripping sections, both inside the curves. The forward grip is the chocked hold to reduce weight. The outer hold is for maximum force. The latter is centered in the hollow of the curves.

That photo was taken after I made the mallet. It was then faced with leather. Leather is soft (even though it is hard leather) and deforms. I recent;y replaced the leather with UHMW. It seems to be standing up far better. It is also quieter ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I would also make one out of fruit wood, at least until you have used a certain mallet for several months of work and you know it is comfortable for you for extended use. then, if you want, make one out of the lignum. you can also get beautiful lignum mallets from a certain guy on the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Lasse

The handle is only square at the very end. There are, in fact, two gripping sections, both inside the curves. The forward grip is the chocked hold to reduce weight. The outer hold is for maximum force. The latter is centered in the hollow of the curves.

That photo was taken after I made the mallet. It was then faced with leather. Leather is soft (even though it is hard leather) and deforms. I recent;y replaced the leather with UHMW. It seems to be standing up far better. It is also quieter ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice looking handle by the way
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt