Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood addiction..

Blog Entries
    I think the ebony slabs count toward this thread as well

I have some gaboon and macassar ebony that I bought from a supplier knowing their next batch would include a large price increase. I've yet to touch the stuff.

Same with a series of book matched walnut in 4/4...which is particularly rare around here since most suppliers supply it in random.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

When I lived in the San Diego area (through 2013) my "neighborhood lumberyard" was Tropical Exotic Hardwoods, about a mile up the road.

Talk about enabling an expensive addiction...

My problem is I can never say "no" to a log. I hate to see a Walnut, Cherry, Oak, Osage Orange, etc. log got to waste. I have numerous people ask if I want a tree they have storm fall, dozer pile whatever and I always say yes. Of course my saw miller charges me $.18 a board foot to cut it up, unless it is quarter sawn then it is $.24 a bf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thats awesome cody!

That certainly beats paying out $15/BF
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wow!

I would be pretty thrilled is i got all that wood for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    My problem is I can never say "no" to a log. I hate to see a Walnut, Cherry, Oak, Osage Orange, etc. log got to waste. I have numerous people ask if I want a tree they have storm fall, dozer pile whatever and I always say yes. Of course my saw miller charges me $.18 a board foot to cut it up, unless it is quarter sawn then it is $.24 a bf.

I thought it was that way for all wood workers. Seems like people know I am a woodworker and I get all kinds of offers for free wood. Last November a friends dad was going to get rid of a pile of old oak floor joists, 16 of them 2 1/2"x 11" x 10'. He was going to burn them if I didnt want them, enough to build a Roubo bench and another bench, as well as an entry way bench as a thank you. Also picked up 150 bd ft of Air dried Walnut that I had to drag off the burn pile, took that to school though as it seems I have plenty. Always on the look out.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I am lucky there are no places nearby that I can go an look at wood, but I do have several boards I bought when I was close to a Hardwood retailer. I like figured stuff, and have enough African Blackwood, black as sin Gabon Ebony, Cocobolo billets to do me for a long time, but not excessive ( says me! )

Living in the Pacific Northwest, there are many Soft Maple opportunities, quilted, curly and burls, Madrone is common here, but darned if I can find any Madrone Burl - - - Rare as hen's teeth.

The only softwoods I am interested in are Yew, and clear as can be Yellow Cedar that has over 50 growth rings per inch.

My main problem is storage right now, and as I usually make smaller, intricate projects, my stash doesn't go away quickly.

In one of his lectures, James Krenov said ' You can never have enough good wood ' - words to live by.

Dave B

I keep hearing about a 12 step program for "Wood Addiction", but have never found where they meet. Anyone that knows of a meeting, please post for those of us afflicted. My wood collection lately has been more in the raw tree sections for turning, but even free dead wood, the pile keeps growing.