Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Wooden Plane Loaner Library Today!

Opening Wooden Plane Loaner Library Today!

I've been mulling this idea over for a year and today I'm kicking it off!

The concept is pretty straightforward -- borrow any plane you want for any reason you want. Return it when done or within 90 days for most, 60 for some.

If you've never used a wooden plane now's your chance to try a tested user. Smoothers, jacks, moulding planes, tongue and groove sets, hollows and rounds ready to go within a week (most ready now)! You cover shipping, that's it. This is not about money; it's about getting more people making stuff. Every plane has been tested for fit and function and are users. They aren't all pretty but they all work.

So if you:
    Wanna try one for giggles and grins
    Need a specific profile but don't have it or want to add something new
    Have considered making your own mouldings but don't yet have the planes
    Want to make your own planes based on a historical example, check out the link in my signature and take a look!

I am an aspiring plane maker and have to come love these old wooden planes. I do not have much shop time currently and these guys just sit when they could be singing.

PS I love metal planes too, just not the sipping charges! Please check it out and let me know what you think if you think of some offers you'd like to see.

I'm putting together a couple smoother & jack sets as well sets of a rabbet plane with H&R pairs (4&8 or 6&10) if I get any interest.

Enjoy your weekends and please feel free to tell me what you think! The box is just for transportation to and from the shop as I sorted out planes.

Forgot to add a link, lol!
    https://bvtoolworks.wordpress.com/the-library/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Norman; 02-07-2016 at 9:13 AM. Reason: Links help when linking things.
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

This is a great idea. Good luck with the new library
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a big undertaking, but worthwhile.

I Enjoy all kinds of planes as long as they work and aren't just objects made to look like a plane.

I have seen more of those in metal than in wood.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-06-2016 at 5:58 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not a woodie snob and certainly don't mean to come across that way -- they're just easier to ship and cheaper to acquire. I get loads of them and fix up what can be saved for others to use.
    When it comes to HOW another person does their hobby I'm in the "paddle your boat how and where you want" camp. When I started I got some real dud planes which turned me off until I inherited some family heirlooms like a wooden plow and dado, transitional jack and metal smoother. Apparently my great grandfather kept what did the job!
    ― Henry Ford

Great good luck!

Blog Entries
    Apparently my great grandfather kept what did the job!
    He also apparently kept them in good order at the time.

Many of my wood molding planes needed nothing more than a good honing and maybe minor corrections to a poorly maintained blade.

Hmmmm, sounds like the same problem many of my metallic planes endured before entering my shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Reminds me of this endeavor that John Coloccia ran for about 10 months back in 2012. I know several of us appreciated the opportunity to have access to his plane for a few weeks for the cost of shipping. Good for you for giving this a go.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...el-Up-Smoother

What an incredibly generous thing to do. Thanks Robert!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    He also apparently kept them in good order at the time.

Many of my wood molding planes needed nothing more than a good honing and maybe minor corrections to a poorly maintained blade.

Hmmmm, sounds like the same problem many of my metallic planes endured before entering my shop.

jtk
    After sitting for nearly 60 years you could shave with any of those irons. I haven't used them much but have never had to touch them up either for that matter.
    ― Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    What an incredibly generous thing to do. Thanks Robert!
    Fred
    The unplugged community is very generous with time and effort to new people and I welcome the opportunity to pay it forward.
    ― Henry Ford

The second from the left at the top-Grecian Ogee with Bead, how wide is it from the quirk to the middle of the bead? If I send you a sash profile, can you check to see if you have a match? The fourth from the left on the bottom looks like a good possibility. I can document the molding and sash I would make from them, if they work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

I don't suppose you have any jointers? I am considering making a wooden jointer and having access to a functioning model could come in handy.

I forgot to link to the page like a dummy but https://bvtoolworks.wordpress.com/the-library/ you can see the profiles measured against a grid to give you a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The second from the left at the top-Grecian Ogee with Bead, how wide is it from the quirk to the middle of the bead? If I send you a sash profile, can you check to see if you have a match? The fourth from the left on the bottom looks like a good possibility. I can document the molding and sash I would make from them, if they work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!
    ― Henry Ford

I do and can arrange a model! I didn't list jointers because there's only 1 and it doesn't fit in a standard USPS box.
    ― Henry Ford

I have 1 and didn't list jointers because they don't fit in standard USPS boxes. I'll post some pics and details if you want since shipping to Atlanta would be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post
    I don't suppose you have any jointers? I am considering making a wooden jointer and having access to a functioning model could come in handy.
    ― Henry Ford