Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tool sharpening Help

New tool sharpening Help

Hello all I received my very first set of lathe tools today and while they are admittedly pretty cheap I just wanted to get started I will save up for better ones. the drawback is they didn't come sharp and I was just looking for some insight on sharpening them if thats possible to do free handed I have a grinder , but no jigs or anything and Ive seen some posts about the Tormeck system but that is just way too much money for me at this time ..as always I thank you all for your time and input and I look forward to learning from you
    Thank you very much , S.

Have you looked into the OneWay Wolverine grinding jig? Folks have built there own similar as well. IMO Tormeck is overkill for lathe tools. You'll be resharpening them time and again while turning. A bench grinder with jigs is the easiest, again IMO.

Steve, its hard to sharpen them freehand, but I did it on mine for several months before I got the $$ together for a grinder and Wolverine jigs. My technique was all over the place. It kept the tools sharp enough to cut, but the difference in how your tools will cut when properly sharpened is amazing! Captain Eddie Castelin has some youtube videos showing how to make some sharpening jigs - I just now searched for 'captain eddie' and his jigs video was only a few down from the top. Worth a watch, as are most of his videos. Another option to get you by would be to join a local woodturners club/guild and find a member that lives close to you that will sharpen your tools on occasion and show you how to sharpen them. You can hone them by hand if necessary between visits, and there are youtube videos out there to show how to do that as well. Best of luck!

Hi Steve,

By far the most important thing is to get the tools sharpened one way or another so you can start playing. Many people have been discouraged by dull tools. The old saying is "If you can't sharpen, you can't turn."

If you are just starting, the suggestion to get someone to sharpen your tools is good. I've done that for many people. Better yet, go visit someone who can sharpen and then give you a lesson! Woodturners love to share.

I know some people who take their tools to Woodcraft and pay for sharpening, at least to get started. This might be something to do ONCE just to get started.

Lots of people make their own jigs for sharpening spindle and bowl gouges. Other tools can be sharpened OK with just a flat tool rest on the grinder: roughing gouge, parting tool, skew, point tool, scrapers. The rests that come with grinders are generally pitiful so that should be replaced as soon as possible.

A basic jig for a fingernail grind is pretty simple: a way to hold the tool securely, a rod at the right angle, and some indent or dimple on the table to rest the end of the rod. If you see it once you'll see how simple it is. You can make one with a small block of wood with a big hole drilled through it for the gouge, a thumbscrew to clamp the gouge, and a dowel rod glued into the block at an appropriate angle. I think Mike Darlow's book Fundamentals of Woodturning has some plans for jjgs as do other books - I'd have to dig them out if you want to know. But I'm sure there are many ideas and plans on the internet.

I have a Tormek and a couple of Wolverine systems. For starting out I'd recommend the Wolverine with the varigrind jig. It should fit any grinder but you might have to raise the grinder with a piece of plywood. I do that then mount that piece of plywood on a larger piece and mount the Wolverine bases on that piece.

And yes, you can easily learn to sharpen freehand if you can get someone to show you how. There is no magic involved. The downside is you can waste a lot of expensive tool steel while learning. Some people recommend to learn to sharpen on cheap tools then buy better tools! Another problem with freehand sharpening is it is difficult at first to get a consistent grind. If the grind is not consistent from one time to the next it might be harder to learn to control the tools.

JKJ

While there are many methods to sharpen turning tools I've latched on to the Robo Rest for platform sharpening. It doesn't require ancillary jigs and isn't nearly as hard as it may first appear. Search YouTube for platform sharpening and that should direct you to the video. Good luck...

Hi Steve. Some very good advice here. It seems the most popular set up for sharpening is a slow speed grinder with two CBN wheels and a Oneway Wolverine jig. I personally have never used this system so can't comment. I will share my experience and "my" preference. I purchased the Tormeck system knockoff made by Jet. I found it slow and just didn't like using it very well. Also the wheel sucked up the water and evaporated it to the air so I was constantly going up to the house for more water. I used an old belt sander using Captain Eddie's idea for sharpening and it was better.
    I recently returned from the TAW woodturning symposium and while there, I watched the Robert Sorbey Pro edge sharpening system being demonstrated. I took the bait and after profiling and sharpening all of my tools I am a well satisfied customer. This system is extremely easy to use, perfect results follow every time.
    As I said earlier the most popular system seems to be the Wolverine jig with CBN wheels, but this sure works for me.
    You mentioned you didn't want to invest to heavily in a sharpening system right now, so I'd recommend you check out Captain Eddie's videos on his belt sander system. Not a bad way to start.

Thank you all so much for all the info I was just looking at Captain Eddie's videos I think i can make that jig, at the very least its a good place to start until I can maybe upgrade but that rig seems to work pretty well for him and others so I'm gonna get on that asap! again thank you all so very much for your time and know how . thanks again,
    S.

There are probably plenty of turners around your area, but if you happen to find yourself near Knoxville look me up and we can spend a day making jigs, sharpening, and with some turning lessons if you'd like. One of my favorite things to do!

JKJ

Yes Sir I would Love that !! thank you and there are a couple turning clubs around but the closest one is about 90 miles away but there is a woodcraft store that has a little get together of local guys in Parkersburg its only 75 or so miles I'm going to try and get over there soon. once again Thank you all very much joining this site has been the best thing to happen to my woodworking ,Thank you ! S.

I would also suggest the wolverine system.
    No real experience turning just spending my time making square wood round.
    I tried hand sharping for a while not great results purchased the wolverine jig and have chips flying.
    I am sure hand sharping is a great option but I found as a beginner that you then have two things to learn one how to sharpen two how to turn.

I know I'm in the vast minority, but should you decide to invest in a Tormek, there are several very good benefits. You can sharpen the bosses kitchen knives, keep her happy. You can sharpen your (sigh, flat work) chisels and plane blades, with no chance of bluing the valuable steel. You can sharpen the bosses scissors, keep her happy. It removes a minimal amount of metal from your expensive gouges too. Given the proper jig, and they all cost money, you can sharpen just about anything you own, including drill bits. Something to ponder. I love the edge the Tormek gives.

It is slow, but I'm no production turner. I turn for joy and happiness. I make a few bucks in the process. So it takes 15 seconds to sharpen a gouge. Not a big deal.... Oh, the Tormek gives you the exact same edge every time..... Even as your wheel wears down.

...Tormek, there are several very good benefits.
    I highly agree. The OP mentioned the Tormek was not an option right now but perhaps in the future. I endured years of scorn from anti-Tormek friends but they just don't know! It is the worst for reshaping a tool but once set up it is VERY quick to resharpen and only removes a mils of steel. At TAW last week Glenn Lucas demonstrated how long it took to get a perfect edge - about 5 seconds!

The real problem is when reshaping a tool, especially a big skew - it takes forEVER. I solved this by mounting a Tormek bar rest on a standard bench grinder.

A few months ago I put a 600 grit CBN wheel on my Tormek. The edge is very good but not quite as good as the water wheel. The advantages are not having to mess with the water and never needindg to dress he wheel. Another minor issue with the CBN wheel is when using with the wheel moving away from the edge the slightest magnetism causes a tail of black steel particles to stick to the edge and make a long tail - and all tools tend to become magnetized even when kept away from magnets. This obsures the edgr from view. I solved this by keeping an old bulk tape eraser handy.

I'd like to try the 1200 grit wheel but it is too expensive to get just to experiment.

i'm still looking for a second (used) Tormek.

JKJ

Steve, if you contact the club, chances are that there is at least one turner who lives between you and the club, which would shorten the drive. Play dates are a lot of fun.

John, I just got a 600 grit wheel from Woodturning Wonders. out of the box, it feels much coarser than my well broken in 180 grit from D Way. For me, it takes 3 to 6 months to break in a wheel. Probably 6 months now since I have retired from the craft shows.

robo hippy

Do you have a belt sander? There are several videos on sharpening lathe chisels on belt sanders. You can also use a sanding disc, a simple one can be made using your faceplate and a piece of plywood. Penn State Industries makes a sharpening system using a sanding disc, search for Chisel Mate Sharpening System, it costs $40. The sanding disc can be made, so can the chisel holding system, but for $40, I would buy instead of make.

Yes Sir I am trying to find a few people closer to me right now and have a emailed a few of the AAW folks to see if they know of anyone near here . Many thanks to all of you as always there are so many great ideas on this site I'm so glad I found it ! thank you all and have a wonderful day!
    S.