Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg holder

Egg holder

Can anyone give me a clue how I might cut the holes for an "egg holder" shown in the attached photo? It looks to be maybe a type of router bit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

eggholder.jpg

I don't think those are drilled but they are carved.

~1-1/2" core box bit in a plunge router? Amana sells them. Not sure I'd want to hand hold it! Perhaps in a mill or drill press.

Would you mean hand carved? I don't think I could manage that. Thanks.

The core box bit sounds possible though not inexpensive. CMT also sells that size and I'm thinking the drill press would be the way to go. I just like the looks of that egg holder; maybe justify the cost by making Christmas presents. Thank you for your input.

Woodline has one for $25.30. They're out of stock at the moment but probably will be available again soon. Part# WL1378-1

http://www.woodline.com/p-1373-round...-box-bits.aspx

Use something like a rosette cutter in a drill press?

A CNC is your best bet, so maybe find some one who can cut those.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Thank you for the link. I have other Woodline bits and they serve the purpose. I'm on the list to be notified when stock is replentished.

I would use a core box bit and a homemade template to index the location. I would also leave the material oversize then cut to final size after using the core box. This give move material to clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schulz View Post
    Can anyone give me a clue how I might cut the holes for an "egg holder" shown in the attached photo? It looks to be maybe a type of router bit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

eggholder.jpg

If using a core box bit, you might want to remove as much material as possible with a forstner bit (or two) first.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I have had good luck with MLCS. They have carbide core box bits up to 2" diameter, for less than $30 for the largest. Free shipping too, or at least it used to be, for any size order.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/bt_core.html

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Thanks, good idea. Maybe 3 fairly shallow cuts; 1 3/4", 1 5/8", 1 1/2" forstner bit using the drill press. Then finsh "shaping" it with the core box bit. I did a size test by simply boring a 1 3/4" hole and a 1 5/8" hole in a board then randoming picking a couple of eggs from the fridge. One dropped thru the larger hole so this thing needs a bottom for sure. I measured a plastic egg tray and the "cups" are 1 3/4" dia x 1 1/8" deep.

Thanks for the reminder and the link. I just ordered a 1 3/4" for $27 / free shipping. I've ordered from there in the past too.

I would use the forstners as much as possible followed by a spade bit reground into a scraper.

I would use a plywood carrier for the blank with a center hole beneath each compartment.

A dowel pin mounted below the drill chuck registers all the drill bits.