Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane or sand laser engraved surface?

tom,keep him off TV shows like "Forged in Fire",where the contestants are trying to make stuff!! I mean,they're bad enough already.

Not a problem, George. If it's not sports, he doesn't watch it. I'll say this...he's gotten pretty good cooking on his Big Green Egg, but he's not allowed to handle the cutting boards after the meal.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the dulling effect on knives from the grit left in wood from sanding . Much better just to plane or scrape. And compressed air does not remove the dirt from down in the pores.

The WORST one is that round,rough surfaced ceramic PIZZA stone that my wife's mother sent her. Now,if you wanted a nice,rough,large,round ceramic stone,it would fit the bill!! I bought her a $4.00 pizza wheel to cut with.

OK, so she learned her lesson but did her husband? Banning him from using it just makes more work for her. His punishment should be to do all the cutting and chopping from now on and to hand wash the board after. (Mostly kidding.)
    I would clean up the user side and leave the engraved side as is as a reminder of what NOT TO DO. I hope he has other redeeming qualities.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Postscript: I ended up planing the board side with the laser engraving. I used a Stanley #4 and set the blade to take very thin shavings and just took my time. When I tested a small section with sandpaper, it just didn't look good. That $25 Stanley plane really works well.

Cutting Board 4.jpg Cutting Board 5.jpg

The light areas inside the engraving are glue and wax. I need to spend some time removing that and then should be done with this.

Dave