Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

8 Feb 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've had a little time to play the guitar I just finished building and found that I got one of the grooves for one string just a tad too deep and the string has a dead sound to it. Now it's time to figure out how to fix that little issue and get back to playing it again. I really like how well it plays and how well it sounds. The Telecaster building is now under way and I hope that this guitar plays as well as the first one I just finished. This has really been fun.

Getting back to oncall duty and my hope is that it is quiet enough to where I will get some sleep during this week.

That's all for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Cut a 20" and a 10" Longworth chuck on the CNC today for a customer and got some speaker wire runs ran through the low voltage troughs in the new shed. Wanted to get more done but the day job took up some time too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Had a tough time with the glue-up on the IKEA bookcase copy I've been doing for my daughter's upcoming birthday. The corners are all 45 degree miters with biscuit joinery, which would be fine under normal circumstances. But the sheet of birch I used ended up having voids right where I'd cut some of the biscuit slots. They held up well through all of the dry fittings, but as soon as I applied glue (TB III), inserted the biscuits and attempted to push one corner together, those voids caved. I had to use a few choice golf words and a utility knive to straighten out the laminations surrounding a couple of the biscuit slots and then reapply the glue, refit and apply clamps to get the joint to close all before the other glue joints began to set. It seems to have turned out alright in the end but in the fury of applying clamps to that one corner, a chunk of the fir edging/facing tore out.

The bare birch ply is painted with an acrylic (Behr Ultra - Rumba Orange) while the veneered CVG Doug fir is finished with Watco Golden Oak. I'll take a full set of pics and post to Projects once the legs are finished and attached.

1-bookcase_ikeaCopy2 - Copy.JPG 1-bookcase_ikeaCopy3.JPG colors.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 02-08-2016 at 8:59 AM.

Milled up some 40 year old walnut planks

Wound up with 10pcs .875 x 8.5" x 48"

After 11 years, finally finished up a couple of lingering details on our bathroom/laundry room build (1 piece of baseboard and trimming 2 outlet covers to notch over some tile). I don't know why I let those details hang out there, sometimes!
    Rewired my new (old) unisaw motor and switch and made and extension cord for my 230v tools.

I didn't spend as much time in the shop as I would have preferred, due to other activities (like teaching the younger parallel parking which will be on her upcoming driver's test and dealing with an ankle that's suddenly very sore), but I did make some good progress on my buffet/hutch project. The lower cabinet doors are finally assembled and ready for, um...filling holes ...and the drawer box parts are milled for traditional wood slides. One thing this project is providing is plenty of opportunities for fixing mistakes; things like a router bit coming loose while milling slots, causing too deep of a cut and some other little things. Rather than recreating components completely from scratch and wasting material (such as the cherry being used for the drawer boxes), I chose to fill the boo-boos with wood and move on since these things are not really visible under normal circumstances.

Next weekend I should be able to compete the drawers, fit the doors and create the T&G back for the buffet which brings me to priming and then painting it. I'll hopefully also get the cherry top surface milled and glued up, too.

Teaser photo...mitered lap joints on the cabinet doors to preserve the beading all around. Those things are NOT going to come apart. But they are a pain to make, I'll admit.

Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-08-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally got back to work on LOML's cheval mirror. It has a large mirror (3'x6') that has a cherry frame along with two solid legs of hard maple. So, this weekend I:

- drilled holes for the hardware
    - test fit the assembly
    - sanded the entire assembly (120 - 400 grit)

Will post a few pics soon...

Mike

Wife and I went to Woodworking Show at Chantilly. Friday was daughter's (who lives a couple hours from DC.) birthday. I had arranged for daughter and her husband to come over to show to surprise wife. What a great birthday for both. Took wife out last night for prime rib for valentines ( we have other obligations next weekend.) Sister passed away early Friday morning, so Sunday set about making arrangements for her services.