Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Building dream shop, need clever ideas

Mike .. you should have .. lol ..

Bandsaw showed up today .. That guy in the background is my buddy who helped me get it inside. Kudo's to SCM - Mini Max. Fit and finish of this machine is outstanding so far ..

SAWEEETTT!

And now we see how this floor works out!

Did they improve how easy it is to put on the table? I hated doing that on my MM20 when I moved it!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Mike .. you should have .. lol ..

Bandsaw showed up today .. That guy in the background is my buddy who helped me get it inside. Kudo's to SCM - Mini Max. Fit and finish of this machine is outstanding so far ..
    And you got about 12' of slat wall to decorate your shop
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    SAWEEETTT!

And now we see how this floor works out!

Did they improve how easy it is to put on the table? I hated doing that on my MM20 when I moved it!!
    I have a 1989 SCM 600 . The MM-24 would be the same saw but 27 years later. I would say they improved how the table goes on compared to 1989..

The new saw is gonna have a 3/8" Blade installed for General Purpose work. Old saw with a 1" x 3TPI blade for resawing .

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a 1989 SCM 600 . The MM-24 would be the same saw but 27 years later. I would say they improved how the table goes on compared to 1989..

The new saw is gonna have a 3/8" Blade installed for General Purpose work. Old saw with a 1" x 3TPI blade for resawing .
    Yes sir you know the tools dreams are made of for sure.

Dust collection system .. one machine is collected from above.. Sander ..

the rest are underneath .. hidden ..

Dust collection and electrical connection runs into the floor at the machine, this is to avoid a trip hazard, and to avoid overhead pipes and wires as much as possible.

The 6" Blast gate is downstairs, so its pneumatically activated through a switch which is upstairs.

Each machine which is not up against a wall has a plug and a receptacle .. If I move the machine, I move the plug and the receptacle. It means removing the plug, and fixing the existing hole, then drilling a new hole and reinstalling the plug.. but its clean.. There is excess Tec cable on each receptacle for future movement, but honestly I hope not to move these machines.
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 07-14-2016 at 3:52 AM.

Awesome as always Rick!! I doubt you ever move them at this point with as much planning as you have done.

Did you say you were using that basement too to work in? Are the overhead facilities an issue there?

I feel compelled to mention that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the machine power cord penetrating the floor like that...particularly because you have no quick disconnect at the machine. You have to go downstairs to remove power outside of hitting the breaker. I prefer a disconnect "at" the machine for a complete and visible break in the power path. But that's me. I'd also be concerned with the cord penetrating the floor in a way that you cannot pull the plug through. But if it works for you and doesn't violate code, no matter...

The dust collection setup looks great! It's really nice that you can run it under the floor like that and have a much "cleaner" workshop environment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim Becker -- I also have dust collection coming up from under my shop floor from a tall dry crawl space -- I installed floor electrical outlets for my 240 VAC tools that feature 3-wire twist lock receptacles for easy disconnection when changing setups on the machines - lots safer that way. I placed the floor outlets where they won't be in traffic areas to avoid tripping hazards and have 10 years of positive usage.

Blog Entries
    Jim and Robert have listed some of the practical reasons to not have the cord going through the floor. I will add that it is a serious code violation to do that. It will be easy enough to run that armored cable up through the floor & mount the receptacle on the floor.

Other than that, the shop is looking great.

I appreciate the feedback .. I may have to move the receptacles up above the floor. One of the machines will be hard wired now, so there will be no break in the line. There is a disconnect for all the machines on the main floor of the shop, so to disconnect power, no need to go into the basement.

I'm going to talk to the local inspector and see about the SOW cord, but I believe I will be changing to Tec cable through the floor.

Blog Entries
    Teck cable is fine to go through the floor, SOW is not. Just make sure you do it so the cable isn't subject to mechanical damage from being stepped on or hitting it with machines & stuff.

I'm swapping over to Teck cable. Thanks for pointing that out .. It makes sense as well.

I might be interested in some of the lengths of 10 SJO you cut if you unload some depending on their length.