Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane HTC125 Chuck

Hurricane HTC125 Chuck

Dose it have a grub screw in the insert for revers sanding?
    Can't seem to find out on the web site.

I looked on-line and saw a video. The fellow didn't specifically mention the grub screw but I can see two. The chuck uses a threaded insert adapter and the adapter has the holes for the two grub screws. Also, if you stare at the Hurricane catalog sheets you can see a hole for what would appear to be a grub screw.

If you call The Woodturning Store, (631) 421-TOOL, they may be able to give you verbal confirmation.

3. No it does not have a grub screw.......the explanation that Steve Fulgoni gives is that all spindles are not configured identically, so a grub screw could mess up threads, on certain lathe models.....he encourages each owner to drill and tap a hole to customize for their particular lathe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    No it does not have a grub screw.......the explanation that Steve Fulgoni gives is that all spindles are not configured identically, so a grub screw could mess up threads, on certain lathe models.....he encourages each owner to drill and tap a hole to customize for their particular lathe.

Is that what you did Roger?
    I saw you had the same chuck.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    Is that what you did Roger?
    I saw you had the same chuck.
    I have not drilled my chuck insert. I rarely sand in reverse, but some stubborn wood demands it. I am careful and have never had my Hurricane chucks back off, but I sand at a slow speed, and make sure my chuck is threaded onto the spindle with a bit of snug up. All my SuperNova chucks do have the set screw, so I always use them when using the Nova chucks.

That was my thinking too,
    No regrets one the chuck?
    Looks like a nice chuck for the money.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    I am VERY pleased with both my HTC-100, and HTC-125.......both are great values in a quality chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I am VERY pleased with both my HTC-100, and HTC-125.......both are great values in a quality chuck.

Well there goes some more of my tool $$$ for the year.
    Thanks Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    Another vote for the HTC-125. It's a well built chuck and I have no complaints.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

I had the HTC 100 chuck. I bought it as a less expensive replacement for my Talon chucks. The weight fell between the Talon chuck and the Stronghold chucks. It was well built. I never did get used to using it. I was and still am used to the Talons and Strongholds. Everything on the Hurricane was slightly different. If my first chuck had been the Hurricane, I would have been a happy camper. I guess my point is, pick one brand of chuck and stay with it.
    Joe

I have the HTC-125 and find it a very good chuck. I do sand in reverse and feel the lack of a grub screw. I do snug up as was stated above and have never had the chuck start to unscrew. That said, I think about it and wish it had a grub screw. That said, I have not drilled and tapped for one either. I also have two Super Nova's. If I had it to do over I would look carefully at the Bulldog line which does have a grub screw.

I have the HTC125 and HTC100 chucks, as well as several Oneway Strongholds and Talons, and a variety of jaws for each. They are all excellent chucks, but I've come to favor the Hurricanes. They have a bit more mass, and I really like their closed-back design (similar to the Vicmarcs).

I'll add some thoughts on grub/set screws. If you are selecting a brand of chuck in part because the inserts come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws, make sure the screws are in the right place for the spindle of your particular lathe(s). The grub screws must tighten against an unthreaded area on your spindle. Unfortunately there is no industry standard for this, and if they tighten against the threads, they won't do you much good, unless you don't mind seriously galling your threads. For example, my Oneway 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts are pre-drilled and tapped, but the grub screws seat against the spindle threads of my G0766 and G0733 lathes, half in and half out of the dedicated channel in the spindles designed to receive grub screes. So they are unusable for me, unless I were to redrill and retap for the screws in the correct positions. I've heard of some turners using special brass-tipped set screws in an effort to reduce damage on other lathes. I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cranking down even with brass tips. The Hurricane chuck inserts do not come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws. As Roger Chandler noted in a post above, this is as Steve Fulgoni at The Woodturning Store intends, precisely because of the wide variation in spindle configurations. Makes sense to me. I haven't felt the need to drill and tap the inserts yet, but that is quite easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    [snip]
    For example, my Oneway 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts are pre-drilled and tapped, but the grub screws seat against the spindle threads of my G0766 and G0733 lathes, half in and half out of the dedicated channel in the spindles designed to receive grub screes. So they are unusable for me, unless I were to redrill and retap for the screws in the correct positions. I've heard of some turners using special brass-tipped set screws in an effort to reduce damage on other lathes. I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cranking down even with brass tips. The Hurricane chuck inserts do not come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws. As Roger Chandler noted in a post above, this is as Steve Fulgoni at The Woodturning Store intends, precisely because of the wide variation in spindle configurations. Makes sense to me. I haven't felt the need to drill and tap the inserts yet, but that is quite easy to do.
    [snip]
    Small correction of my comment on the fit of the set screws in the Oneway aftermarket inserts if used on the Grizzly G0766 and G0733. I just checked again and they do seat half in and half out of the dedicated channel, but the half that is out seats on the spindle boss (shoulder) that abuts the spindle face, rather than on the spindle threads as I had misremembered. So still not usable without redrilling and tapping, as they gall the spindle boss. My point is the same: best to check on fit with the lathe a chuck is purchased for, if factory-drilled and tapped set screws are a big reason for selecting that particular chuck.
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 02-11-2016 at 8:19 PM.

The insert that came with my HTC 125 (purchased 6 weeks ago) for my Griz G0766 (1 1/4x8 thread) came with two grub screws already tapped and installed...maybe some inserts do and some don't, or there's been a design change recently?? I use 'em all the time when sanding in reverse...

15. Quote Originally Posted by John Nordyke View Post
    The insert that came with my HTC 125 (purchased 6 weeks ago) for my Griz G0766 (1 1/4x8 thread) came with two grub screws already tapped and installed...maybe some inserts do and some don't, or there's been a design change recently?? I use 'em all the time when sanding in reverse...
    That is news, John. I know the both the 125 and the 100 that I have, neither come with grub screws......that must be a recent, and I must say welcome addition, especially if they are positioned where they do not damage the threads or the spindle boss.