Thread: Grizzly 513x or Laguna 1412 bansaw

Grizzly 513x or Laguna 1412 bansaw

Did not want to derail the other bandsaw thread.

Anyone have experience with the Grizzly 513 series bandsaw AND the Laguna 1412?
    I have had my eye on the Grizzly 17" saw for some time now. Know it is a great saw from the reviews. But kinda like the overall size of the Laguna 1412. Also gets great reviews.
    I have never seen a Grizzly 17" saw in person. Having said that, I get the impression the Laguna 1412 may be a better built saw vs Grizzly 17" ???????
    Any opinions from someone who has put their hands on each saw?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I won't say which saw cuts better because I have only used the larger 19 inch 3 HP Grizzly saw. I can say without reservation that the fit and finish on the Laguna is better. I also like the overall design a little better. I much prefer the Laguna ceramic blade guides over the bearings that Grizzly uses. The 17 inch Grizzly is really popular and lots of people on SMC own and brag on it. I don't think you will be making a mistake with either saw.

Art echoes my opinion. I've seen a Griz 0513 but never used one. I don't know that I've ever seen a complaint about that model. I've seen problems with the 19" 0514 but don't recall any 0513 issues.

I have the 513x2. I have a friend with a 1412. I can say without reservation, that the bigger wheels on the 513 make a huge difference. The extra mass of the bigger wheels shine when cutting wet bowl blanks.

I've never used the grizzly but I own the Laguna 14/12 and really like it. Fit and finish is nice, cuts smoothly and runs smoothly. This is my first band saw so I can't compare it to anything else. It is top heavy so I have to be extremely careful wheeling it around because there were a few times it almost tipped over on me. Dust collection is pretty good and blade change is quick and easy.

I also own a 14/12. It is built very well and cuts smoothly. The dust collection is very good.
    War Eagle!