Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wixey Digital Readout

Wixey Digital Readout

Noticed on a previous thread some of you were impressed as I was with Wixey DRO. Has anyone mounted one to a Delta DC-380 15" planer? Looking at John Miliunas' new Yorkcraft it looks like it would require the same mounting as the castings look similiar to the Delta. Any finished or installation pic's would help. These old eyes need help.

Thanks
    Les

I am not familiar with the Wixey, but did mount a Digiscale on my MM J/P for the planer and am very happy with it. Details in this thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

My problem lies in the cutter head being a single piece of cast iron and everything seems to be attached to it. This makes mounting the scale on a fixed surface tough since there is none currently. I will try adapting a bracket which will have to be in proximity to the cutter head so the DRO will slide up and down it's bracket. Most of the surfaces are also round on the head. I had hoped someone had traveled this road before me so I could "borrow" their solution.
    Les

Yes, mounting things can be a challenge. I was fortunately with my J/P as it had that nice flat area next to the cutting scale that allowed me to drill and screw things without too much trouble. I did have to fabricate a bracket to engage the OEM indicator as you can see in the pictures in the thread I linked to. Some of the stationary planer designs are going to be bears to put a DRO on "just because" there is no place to mount anything!
    --

Les,

Here are some pictures I have received for some people who have mounted the readout on a Delta 15" planer and a General planer. It requires making some brackets but these guys seem to think it was pretty easy.

Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I picked up two of them at Woodcraft last weekend. I'm going to try to mount them on my Delta 18/36 drum sander and my PM 15" planner. I should be interesting...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I am not familiar with the Wixey, but did mount a Digiscale on my MM J/P for the planer and am very happy with it. Details in this thread.
    Jim,

Now that you've had it going for a while, how do you like it? Once you got it reading accurately, has it stayed in calibration well or do you chase it around some?

Thanks,
    Mike

Thanks Barry

And let's thank Barry Wixey for responding to the thread....... and welcome him to the Creek. It just goes to reinforces that some manufacturers are watching our comments and adapt to them. I think this is a win-win situation for all.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gavin
    And let's thank Barry Wixey for responding to the thread....... and welcome him to the Creek. It just goes to reinforces that some manufacturers are watching our comments and adapt to them. I think this is a win-win situation for all.

Peter
    I agree, Welcome to the creek Barry.

Barry,

Thanks for info. I have been off line for a couple days.

Thanks again,
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    Now that you've had it going for a while, how do you like it? Once you got it reading accurately, has it stayed in calibration well or do you chase it around some?
    Yes, I am pleased with the device and it has stayed in calibration as much as I can tell. That said, I have have not had a huge amount of time in the shop, so I think that watching it longer term will be important. I don't expect any problems, however, as the unit has a decent reputation as far as I can determine. I'd consider their TS fence unit, too, if I can get agreement that it will work with my "original" Xacta Fence. (Although I'm still considering retrofitting with a UniFence as I really like them and miss the one I had on my previous saw)
    --

wixey dro - Installed

Got it mounted to the Delta DC-380 planer. Hope the pic's make it. I mounted it to the back because someone had mentioned they were afraid the DRO could be damaged on the loading end. Also didn't have a welder to make a 90* to attach to the 1 1/2" angle. Works great so far.
    Les

I'll try the pic's again. If they don't make it this time -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Les

Nice solution, Les! Looks like a professional install to me! I sure do miss my Wixey and I'd love to do something similar on my Yorkie, but alas, even though some of the casting are similar, the main difference is that my motor is enclosed below the table. With that, the cutterhead stays stationary, while the feed table(s) move up/down. The Wixey would end up reading backwards! (Hey Barry.... I'll bet there are quite a few guys in my position! <Hint, hint!>)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Nice solution, Les! Looks like a professional install to me! I sure do miss my Wixey and I'd love to do something similar on my Yorkie, but alas, even though some of the casting are similar, the main difference is that my motor is enclosed below the table. With that, the cutterhead stays stationary, while the feed table(s) move up/down. The Wixey would end up reading backwards! (Hey Barry.... I'll bet there are quite a few guys in my position! <HINT, hint!>)
    Nice install Les. I've marked this thread for when I do my PM15.
    Hey John, I don't know if you saw this post or not but backwards works for me..
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24307
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-27-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney