Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funeral Urns

A friend of mine, a former cemetery manager, said many people use a 6" piece of PVC with two end caps glued on, will last forever in the ground. Not too elegant, but does the job.

What internal volume is typically needed for an urn?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    What internal volume is typically needed for an urn?
    I've heard the rule of thumb is 1 lb of body weight yields 1 cubic inch of ash.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    At your request, they will provide the ashes in a special plastic bag in a cardboard mailer, and you can take it from there.
    I'd suggest asking the funeral home to make the transfer into the urn - you really don't want the emotional stress of trying to get all of the cremains transferred and worry about spills, etc.

I turned an urn for a high school friend's mom a year or so ago, it came out pretty well in spite of being my first effort at making something like that. He was pleased and said a local funeral home handled the transfer without any hassle.

2014-12-03 16.47.18 (Medium).jpg

And I'm currently in the same position as the OP - not sure how much longer my dad is going to be around, so have intentions of making a fairly simple box for him; we'll be burying his ashes so it's won't be for display, though I'll probably embellish it a bit.

Urns can be bought at a very reasonable price through Costco. They had a good selection and the mortuary put the ashes in for us. You can do it yourself if you want, in Oregon anyway.