Thread: Favorite saw

Favorite saw

Hello Sawmill Creek community!
    I am new here and I would like my first thread to be dedicated to getting acquainted. My favorite tool in the workplace is a saw, and honestly it would be awfully hard to do most pieces without one. I would have to say that my favorite rip saw is a disston d-8 thumbhole, and for some unknown reason my favorite crosscut is a disston keystone k-4 air master. Now, to the question, what would be your favorite saw or saw brand.

I have a Diston D8 filed rip that I adore.....my Bontz Half Back would be my most useful saw in the shop....and I have an almost unhealthy and un natural affection for my Lie Nielson Dovetail saw.

Next!

Oh, and welcome to the creek.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Brent and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't list a location. I am always curious as to were folks call home.

It is difficult to pick a favorite saw. Sometimes it is a Ron Bonz dovetail saw, sometimes it is my crosscut D-7. Then there are a few others that come into play.

It can be as hard as picking my favorite chisel or hand plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Im pretty sure when I get my Ron Bontz saws they will be my favorite...canīt wail
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Im pretty sure when I get my Ron Bontz saws they will be my favorite...canīt wail
    Ron is fantastic to work with, I have 3 of his saws that all see regular action in anger against wood in my shop....

Egads, trying to pick a favorite saw is like trying to pick out the favorite of your kids. Having said that, I have a really nice Disston #7 8ppi panel saw in an 18" length that I often find in my hand. My 26" Disston #12 6ppi rip is also a favorite. If you are thinking of new saws, it's a whole different list.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Favorite saw is easily my Bad Axe hybrid sash saw. Use it for everything. Next favorite are my Disston 20's era tenon saws i bought from a Creeker. I also have a great 20's era 8 point crosscut 26" Atkins i bought from a Creeker that touches pratically every thing I build. Fantastic kit.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 02-11-2016 at 1:01 PM.
    Paul

I have many saws. Many saws that I like. Not all are Disston!
    Disston D8 thumbhole 26" 5ppi rip, Keen Kutter 180 26" 5ppi xcut (6 strokes and the 2x4 gets shorter), Disston 26" no 7 6ppi rip, no 12 26" 7ppi rip, 20" D8 10ppi xcut, and a host more.

I love these listed. I am not as fond of my backsaws, and I absolutely hate my gent's style dovetail..I want an 8" or so open or closed handle but I garage sale for my saws and there were many carpenters near me in the past but few cabinetmakers.

Still, there is a meet near me in two days..maybe I'll find one.

I recently bought a dozen rusty saws at a country feed store near me for $5.00 each. So far, I have three D-8s filed rip (5 1/2, 6, and 7 PPI) an unknown but old Disston, and a Simonds 361 all restored and functional. I have all the rip and cross cut saws I will ever need, and I still have seven more to go.

I passed up an Atkins miter saw, probably 30" long with folded steel back. It's probably still there.

I like whichever of my 37 Disstons is best for what I am doing. I have the most affection for this one that I made from a used up Disston D-20.dsstn joiner's copy handle wheat closemanip.JPGdsstn joiner's copy.JPG

Saws? Have a few..pick one.
    saw Till.jpgNo. 4 backsaw.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0294.jpgsaw cut 4.jpg
    Have a few favourites...Pic#4 is a 10ppi from a Cleveland Hardware Supplier, made by Atkins, 20" long. #3? A Corsair 8 ppi crosscut.....This is about 75% of the saws in the shop...oh, and #5? 12", 9ppi tool box saw I had just finished up.

That is too hard to answer. The 26" panel saws I have are a Disston D-15 Victory cc saw 8 ppi, A Disston D-7 rip 6ppi. My 20" panel saws are Wenzloff saws, a 9 ppi cc, and a 7ppi rip. My back saws and all Lie Nielsen tapered saws, Dovetail, tenon and carcass. They are all wonderful saws, can't really say I have a favorite. Just need to use the right tool for the task at hand.

Steven my man, you've done got me drooling. Other than my d-8 I've got an unknown 8 point skewback rip saw from western Germany,I have no idea what brand it is but it was old, for sale, and what I needed so I got it. You know, I don't got much use for a dovetail saw because I just use a coping saw for such but I do use a miter saw sometimes. Sadly,my collection is probably much smaller than most of y'all's but I'm working on it! Jim, I live in Marshall,North Carolina and thanks for asking. Oh, and have any of y'all noticed that almost every handsaw you find in flea markets and such is a ripsaw, I mean good grief,for the past year and a half,only one out of every fifteen saws I found was a crosscut. Hello back everybody!